How many treats is okay? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

How many treats is okay?

I’m starting to teach my 9 week old how to sit, lay down, come, etc. but how many treats a day is too many? If we train for 5 minutes that’s like 10 treats and I usually stop then but what is recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM

I have a puppy too and Iíve just been using shredded chicken for training just give her less food at dinner depending on how much training we do that day
Sheís my first German shepherd though so idk if thatís what ppl are suppose to do thatís just what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Master Member

I don't think there is any rule about a specific number. It depends on a whole lot of things. How rich are the treats? What type are they? Biscuit, chicken, cheese, hot dog, etc. Some treats are really rich and can only be given in small amounts to avoid diarrhea.

Whatever treat you use, you need to look at the calorie total and deduct that from his/her meal. If you give a lot of treats one day, you cannot give the puppy the same amount of kibble for dinner that you normally do. A lot of people actually use their dog's kibble as training treats. They measure out the amount they feed for breakfast and dinner, then use it throughout the day or do training all at once and make the dog work for the meal.

10 treats does not seem like too much, and as long as you are adjusting the food amount, your puppy should be fine. You will know you gave too many treats if the puppy has diarrhea.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

Inga was trained to 30 commands without using any treats, just praise. They do want to please us.

She gets random treats that fall like mana from heaven. Just now she recieved (outside on the lawn) four fresh calf testicles. I would not want to give her more than that- see previous post- https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...testicles.html

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I use very tiny bits for treats. If your puppy will work for kibble, measure out a meal, use some for training, and feed the rest in their bowl later.

For higher value treats I like Real Meat Dog Food: https://www.chewy.com/real-meat-comp...free/dp/110466

A two pound bag lasts me a LONG time, and the pieces are usually small but the larger ones can be easily broken up with your fingers as you go. Bonus is that it does not require refrigeration.

I also like Happy Howie. As roll foods go, it is the least crumbly I've found: https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Howies-...ds=happy+howie

I bought a case of six 2# rolls for $53.79 and free shipping with Amazon Prime a couple of weeks ago - the price has gone up a couple of bucks, but it's still a lot of treats for a very reasonable price. I also got one of these, which makes quick work of dicing food rolls into perfect 1/4" cubes for training: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Inga was trained to 30 commands without using any treats, just praise.
That's great but it doesn't answer the OP's question.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

My comment was to imply you don't really need treats to train.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
My comment was to imply you don't really need treats to train.
That is certainly an option. You also don't *need* to use toys to train. But many dogs will work more enthusiastically for tangible rewards such as food or toys, in addition to praise, than they will for just praise alone.

And the question wasn't about whether or not treats are necessary, the OP is already using treats, his question was regarding the quantity. If someone came here and said their dog is really into balls or tugging and wanted to know how best to use play as a motivator it wouldn't be particularly helpful to tell them they don't need toys train.

Personally, I don't like to limit my training options by eliminating any potential motivators for no particular reason. My dogs respond to food and play as well as my facial expression, my voice, and my body language. The more they want to engage with me, the faster, easier, and more fun our training sessions are.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

I like to use a complete food like Freshpet, Red Barn food roll, Natural Balance food roll. then I just subtract from their meals. OR I use their meals. I feed raw so would just make raw meatballs to use.
car2ner likes this.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Op here

I definitely didn’t mean to start a treats vs no treats debate! I’ve just been training with treats Bc that’s how I seen a training video on YouTube do it. So I’ll tell my puppy to sit and if he does I give him a treat. Same thing with potty. I’d like to train no treat but my pup is only 9 weeks and has a hard time paying attention so treats are helping to train repetition wise

The treats I’m using now are Plato pet treats small bites made with organic chicken. However I’m thinking of using actual chicken as a training treat instead

Can I ask you guys at this age is it possible to give the puppy too much love? Lol. Basically I mean I don’t want to spoil him. I only give food if he sits quietly, I only treat if he goes potty or does his commands. But if he’s just hanging out I praise him just so we bond. Am I training him correctly? Also any links to training videos or articles for a young puppy like this would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page