Can I take show line German Shepherd to running - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Can I take show line German Shepherd to running

I got show line gsd puppy from reputed breeder and finally came to know that show lined GSDs are less energy driven and not strong enough like working ones.
The main reason I bought puppy is to train her as my running companion when she matures. And to protect our house also keeping strangers away.
I run 3 to 4 miles daily at 35 minutes.
Does the show line GSD handle better with my running schedule or should I replace it with working line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM
Elite Member

if your showline GSD is healthy s/he should be able to run that distance without a problem. Just condition your dog like you would yourself and wait until your puppy grows up and the joints are mature before doing a lot of running, especially on pavement (which would be true for working line GSDs also).
Aly likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Elite Member

Adjith, from your name, I am guessing you possibly live in India, or somewhere close by, where it gets very hot. That's something you really need to take into account if you are running with your dog. Actually, it's something we need to be aware of even in North America during the summer!

When walking or running with your dog, put your hand on the pavement. If it's too hot for you to leave your hand there for 5 seconds, it's too hot for your dog's paws. Either leave the run until it has cooled off, or get some sort of boots to protect your dog's feet.

And yeah, a show line should be able to run with you, if you build the distance up gradually. I have an 11 year old female who's a mix of American and German show lines, and she is the one running out ahead of me and my working line female on walks. If I stop to rest for too long, she runs around me in circles and barks to get me going again! She spends the first 3 or 400 yards of each walk giving happy barks as she and the other dog go tearing madly down the path!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Master Member

Replace it with a working line? Meaning you would just give your dog up because she can't do one thing you want to do?

Show lines are not weak, pathetic messes as everyone seems to think. As others have said, once you condition the dog, she should be able to do that just fine. This breed was bred to work, and a show line GSD is still a GSD. I fear the day our dogs are unable to run just because they come from show lines. That is the day this breed has stopped being our breed.
selzer, Aly, Sunsilver and 2 others like this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Your dog will be able to run just fine. Please be sure to wait until she is mature and her joints have closed, at 18 months to 2 years old. Running her too early can damage those developing joints.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Also the dog will be able to protect the house. Also, anyone looking in will think that is definitely a barking German Shepherd in there. Lots of people do not know that German Shepherds come in other dark colors besides saddle back black and tans.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Adjith, from your name, I am guessing you possibly live in India, or somewhere close by, where it gets very hot. That's something you really need to take into account if you are running with your dog. Actually, it's something we need to be aware of even in North America during the summer!

When walking or running with your dog, put your hand on the pavement. If it's too hot for you to leave your hand there for 5 seconds, it's too hot for your dog's paws. Either leave the run until it has cooled off, or get some sort of boots to protect your dog's feet.

And yeah, a show line should be able to run with you, if you build the distance up gradually. I have an 11 year old female who's a mix of American and German show lines, and she is the one running out ahead of me and my working line female on walks. If I stop to rest for too long, she runs around me in circles and barks to get me going again! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] She spends the first 3 or 400 yards of each walk giving happy barks as she and the other dog go tearing madly down the path!
Yea I live in India.
It's tooo hot even though in winter aftnoons. So I mostly run while colder sunset time or chill morning.
And I never run on concrete pavement. I also do hiking and other water related activities. So got little frustrated about getting show line plush coated female GSD.
I would be happy if my GSD guards my family and cope up with my activity once she matured around 1 1/2 years.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:56 AM
Elite Member

Adjith, you seem to be worried about your pup being able to cope with the exercise, which makes me wonder if she has some problems with her conformation. Can you post a stacked picture, please, and maybe one taken from the rear, so we can see if she's severely overangulated or cow-hocked?

It is one of the most common problems with show line pups, due to breeders selecting for extreme conformation. Most often they get stronger as they mature, but I have seen some adult dogs that looked like a strong breeze would blow them over.

You will need to make one more post before you can post pictures. Then, select "Go Advanced', and scroll down the page until you see "Manage Atttachments". Click on that, then click on the buttons to select the photos you want to upload, then select 'Upload'.

If the files are too large, they will not upload. You can resize them by going to Windows Paint, and selecting 'resize' from the top menu.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 06-30-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

I have had mixed breeds, pure breeds with sway backs and cow jocks as a kid runnkng along side my bike for miles and miles a day exploring. Keeping up without concern. Are you wanting to change your dog because what you read on the internet then you have serious issues. WAtch the greatest showman- open your mind. Unless your pup has some severe severe severe conformation issues or something going neurological. I imagine why the concern to keep up with exercise. My chihuahua can keep up with a two - three mile walk and he is at a jog for him we do not want to stress his joints to much but he is able- a chihuahua ????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Your dog will be able to run just fine. Please be sure to wait until she is mature and her joints have closed, at 18 months to 2 years old. Running her too early can damage those developing joints.

THIS!!!! This is the most important thing said in this thread....

NO PUPPY of any type should be "running" with a human who runs for exercise/fitness....puppies have a long way in bone and joint development before they should be subject to structured running as you describe.

As far as being a show line, it should be fine once it is mature enough

Lee
dogfaeries, dogma13 and Sunsilver like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page