Pottying outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Pottying outside

I need some help, I have a 14 week old Shepherd. She has Been puppy pad trained since 8 weeks old and has done amazing. I have been trying to transition her to outside and having a very difficult time. Last week I took her out back or on walks frequently and stayed out with her for an hour around her normal pee times (after eating, playing and sleeping etc). She would not go outside, I would be out there with her for like an hour. I then bring her in and she would instantly squat on the floor where her pads would be. I would stop her mid pee or poo to take her outside(thinking she would finish outside) and nothing. I would bring her back in after another 45 mins and she would try to go on the floor again. I have tried taking her pee pads outside for smell and nothing. We took her camping in our motorhome and she NEVER peed in our motorhome and peed outside fine(she even held her bladder all night, not a peep out of her) . How do I get her to go outside now that we are home. I even take her out with my other dog and nothing. She will hold her pee till she is inside. Is it a shepherd thing, I have owned boxers and labs and never had an issue with transitioning outside. I'm outside with her every 2-3 hours, and she will hold it. I've never had a puppy this young that can stop mid pee or poo and go outside and not finish. Any help would be appreciated. I love this little girl like crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_135700_1529991070463.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	506501  
Mei likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

It's not a Shepherd thing; she is doing exactly what you taught her. So go back to house training 101. It will take much longer than if you had done this form the very start but it is do-able. Put the pad outside the door (no longer inside) and gradually move it to the spot where you want her to go. If you made it this far,, cut the pad smaller and smaller until you no longer need it.
unfortunatefoster likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I have already started moving the pad towards the door. I have trained many puppies in my lifetime this way and never had a puppy so stubborn. I just thought maybe the stubborness was a shepherd thing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Mei
Master Member

I wouldn't have even dealt with the pads to begin with, but sounds like it hasn't been a problem for you with other puppies.

I don't have any recommendations other than what you're doing, moving the pad closer to the door where eventually it is outside.

I just wanted to say you have a gorgeous puppy!! She looks so soft! I miss that soft puppy fur.
kaydub_u likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:51 AM

Mine was litter trained when I got her. She still has a litter box in her X-pen in the kitchen since I have to leave her alone about 4.5 hours to go to work. She's 13 weeks and only uses it during those times when she's in the X-pen. Planning to phase that out as soon. In the living room, where the back door is, she goes to the door sometimes, and sometimes just stops and without warning squats right there in the room. I make sure she goes out every 20-30 minutes at age 13 weeks, but sometimes she'll go in between just like that, no sniffing or warning. She can go 6 hours overnight. Not sure when "can" hold it will translate to "will" hold it, but we're getting there.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Master Member

She looks like an akita mix to me. Very cute.

As far as the potty training, she is not being stubborn. She's just confused about why you suddenly changed what you wanted. I agree with Wolfy; you will have to completely restart. I would avoid using puppy pads from now on with any dogs you get in the future. There really isn't a reason to use them at all, and now you can see why it can be a bad thing. Good luck!
Sabis mom likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

That's the thing though, I have moved to a totally different area so she doesn't associate going to the bathroom there. I don't have pads down and I take her out every hour for anywhere from 40 min to an hour and she will not go. As soon as I bring her in she squats anywhere on the floor. If I stop her mid pee to go outside she will not go until she comes in the house. Not sure what else to do, obviously I will keep doing what I'm doing and I know there is no magic trick to it. Its just so weird that she never went in our camper once and held bladder for 6 + hours and went outside no problem while camping lol
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

What you teach GSDs is what they do and they don't really like any changes in routines. They are very consistent. Stubbornness is a human trait. If we call a dog 'stubborn' we need to find a technique that works better, being a smarter trainer and not find an excuse to blame the dog by labeling it 'stubborn'.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Master Member

How are you taking her out? Is she on a leash, or are you allowing her to wander around and play/explore on her own? I would make the outside trips as boring as you can possibly make them. She doesn't get to wander around. No chewing on sticks or the grass. No playing with you. As soon as she goes make a huge deal, then run around and play with her for a minute. Basically make sure she has the greatest time AFTER she goes to the bathroom and the time before she goes is boring.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Master Member

The reason amongst many why I don’t ever use pads. You would need to start over as if she was a 8 week old puppy but use a crate I prefer plastic airline type. Giver her room to lay down and stand up only. Feed her in the crate always. Need to find her routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page