Puppy screaming in crate while we’re home - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Our five month old goes into his crate for bedtime without issue. He knows his “go to bed” command and will happily obey whenever we tell him to. The issue is when we’re home and need him to go in his crate for various reasons. He cries, screams, claws at the door and bites the wires incessantly. He calms down after about 30/40 minutes, but it’s worrisome for my husband and I because we don’t want him to hurt himself biting the crate, and when we have guests over they get a little freaked out. If we put him in the crate and leave, he’ll sigh for a little bit but calms down quickly (I know this because when I put him in the crate and go out of sight, he’s fine).

What are some training exercises we can do with him to curb this behavior?

Last edited by Lless28; 06-13-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

Frozen (stuffed) kong. My go to for most crate issues. I’d introduce them fresh initially so the pup gets some instant gratification while learning the game. Once frozen it can take up to 20 minutes to finish and can be nice to break the cycle.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Don't 100% look at him when he is crated as you are making contact and you know how eager these dogs are to answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Just make sure you tire out your puppy before you put your puppy in the crate. If your pup is tired he will less likely be so wired up to being crazy. Then you can use a stuffed kong toy to relax him and mentally stimulate him.

Something i've learned too is to put a stuffed kong toy in his crate and close the door 10-15 mins prior to him going into the crate. Show him the toy before you put it in to make your pup really want to go. After 10-15 mins your pup will really want to go in and enjoy the kong 'in the crate', so let him in and he will enjoy it and calm down afterwards. Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Two things first put a blanket over the crate, second ignore him that might take a while to get use to. Is your pup drooling all over the place if so look out for separation anxiety. If that's the case your will need professional help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page