What can I do about door rushing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

What can I do about door rushing?

I have really tried to up my training with Apollo (7 months). I'm sure others are much farther ahead than we are, but I'm working on it and dedicating even more time to his training than I was before... He's getting to the point where he sits when he's right in front of me without me asking and usually lays down. We're working on "stay" and he's doing pretty well with it. We're working on building it, but so far it's only if I'm standing right in front of him and walking backwards away from him. He doesn't eat his meals until he's calm and looking at me for direction. I make him sit and look at me before I do basically anything at all like let him outside, throw a ball, give him food, a treat, etc. He will trade his bone easily or usually will release it when I tell him "out."

Like I said, I know all of this isn't a big deal. I just wanted to lay out the things he was good at. I work on his impulse control every single day, countless times a day. Like I said, no meals until he's calm, I practice "leave it" with treats and highly sought after toys and bones. He's good about that and doesn't take them until I tell him he can.

The door rushing is something that I'm not sure how to get a handle on. He sleeps in his crate. I make him sit before I open the crate in the morning. The second that my hand goes to the latch, he's up. I have him sit again. I get to the bottom latch and he's trying to burst through the crate. I have him sit again while holding it shut. He sits and then rushes out. At the door to go outside, I have him sit. Sometimes I have him lay down and practice the level of "stay" that he is good at. The second I open the back door he's up trying to rush out.

I'm not sure what to do about this or how to go about it. Our trainer said to put him on a leash and then go towards the door and pull him back while telling him "get back." I've tried this until my arm is about to fall off and it seems to make little difference.

Does anyone have any good tips to stop the door rushing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Elite Member

I put the dog in the crate then let her out after everyone has settled in.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't do it when he is excited or needing to go out. Go outside and play, do some training outside, let him go potty. When he is calm and relaxed do some door training... get him to sit open the door... if he stands up close the door, when he stays sitting reward... and repeat and repeat and repeat. When he gets good at that door move to another door. When he is good at all the doors add a person on the other side.

It won't work to try and do the training when he is all hyped and excited.
Annageckos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

Close the door on him until he can walk out calmly. It might take five tries or twenty tries.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 PM

Doorways are very exciting for many dogs,mine included.It does take many,many repetitions.It's not just you

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

Buy the DVD "Crate Games" Well worth the money

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 AM
Master Member

Have you spent time teaching a release word? Your pup is young just keep building from those successes. He will get it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Master Member

Something I want to caution you against is “leave it” and “stay” when really you mean “wait” for both of those at different times. I use “wait” for everything - coming out of the crate, eating a treat off her nose, going through front doors, etc. “Wait” means eventually, I’m going to release you and you’re going to get to do what you wanted, but not until you hear me say it. Leave it means you never, ever get it. Stay means you stay there until I come back. I find it helps them meet your expectations because then they understand them better.

If you want your dog to not rush through doors, part of it is kind of just telling them not to. Personally, I tell my dog to wait every single time I open any door. My car door, crate door, bedroom door, etc. If I don’t say wait, I honestly don’t expect her to because we just aren’t at that level yet. And if I don’t want her to pull me through the door, I use our informal “with me” command and don’t let the leash be longer than a foot. If she rushes, I stop and give her a quick pop saying “no pulling”. Then she has to sit and we have to start all over again. It’s at the point now where if she sees she’s on a leash, she’s learned to respect it. I actually don’t know how many times I’ve said that out loud to her too, lol... “you’re on a leash, respect that”.

And training accomplishments don’t have to be big to be celebrated. Every bit of progress is good progress.
Aly, KaiserAus and Annageckos like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Elite Member

I was on my way to work one day, and someone who lived in a house right next to the busy street I was travelling down opened the door to their house to pick up the morning paper. Out dashed what was obviously a young adolescent poodle puppy. It ran right out into the street and was run over.

Doors are one thing a dog owner should be very, very serious about. If the dog isn't 'getting it', I wouldn't hesitate to start using a shock collar. It may save the dog's life.

Yeah, it would be a last resort. But there's a very good reason that going nicely through a door is part of the Canine Good Citizen test...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
Something I want to caution you against is “leave it” and “stay” when really you mean “wait” for both of those at different times. I use “wait” for everything - coming out of the crate, eating a treat off her nose, going through front doors, etc. “Wait” means eventually, I’m going to release you and you’re going to get to do what you wanted, but not until you hear me say it. Leave it means you never, ever get it. Stay means you stay there until I come back. I find it helps them meet your expectations because then they understand them better.
I second the "wait" command. Start with a very quick wait time, and build up. We started ny practicing "wait" while playing, and we introduce a release word so they know when to break their wait.
As for thresholds, start with the crate, because it's often their very first door they're exiting. If he tries to rush the door, shut it. Try again. Do it until his butt stays on the ground when the door is open. Make him wait a short couple seconds, give him his release word, once he understands the concept, start adding time. We practice at every door. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page