Tearing up pee pads - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Tearing up pee pads

So over night and while we are at work we keep our puppy ( just over 12 weeks) in our laundry room. We have her crate in there and just leave the door open so she can go in and out as she wants. Than we just have a few pee pads down on one end of the room. This is the way the breeder has always done it, and kind of figured if it worked for her than it would work for us. Neither of us really wanted to leave her in the crate all the time anyway. So she has gotten better, hasn’t pooped in there in a few weeks but still pees(on the pads). Don’t mind the pee too much, as I would say it’s slowly getting better. Less spots anyway. The biggest problem is her tearing them up. Luckily it’s usually the ones that weren’t used. Just wondering if anyone else does something similar, and maybe has a way to keep her from ripping up the pee pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Donít use them. They need to learn to go outside. It is convenient now, but you donít want a full size GSD having a flood of pee indoors.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:20 AM

I agree with LuvShepherds, we had a 12 year old who would ask us to take her out and if we didn't jump and run to the door she would still go down to the laundry room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

Stop using pee pads and teaching your puppy to pee in the house. Crate her at night. She can hold it overnight.
wolfy dog likes this.

Last edited by Jax08; 06-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

The main reason we started it this way is because we knew a few people who did it and had success. Their dogs are older now and have no problems and don’t go in the house. We have talked about moving her to the crate. She also has a UTI right now, would it be bad to expect her to hold it the whole time with that. Or do we just get up with her every few hours over night to take her out?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Crowned Member

Is she on antibiotics? I really like a product called D-Mannose to use for a uti. It's the sugar in cranberries that helps the urinary tract and is proven to kill ecoli. NOW is a good brand and comes in powder form. Just add to her water twice a day, or mix in with wet food.

You could get her up once during the night to let her out. I wouldn't but you have to do what you think is best for her.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

She is on an antibiotic, the first one she was getting sick on. This one has been good so far, I don’t remember what it’s called though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 PM

If she has a UTI, she'll need to go more often than every few hours, I'm afraid. (My sister just went through this with her rottweiler puppy.) It's exhausting, but it's what she will need until the antibiotics kick in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page