Potty training: Intervals? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Potty training: Intervals?

Hello and thanks for letting me join. Picking up our 9 week old sable this weekend.
Any tips on how often I should take him out to do his business?
How long after meals or after having a good drink of water?
I work from home so I have a slight advantage on being able to keep an eye on him most of the time.
Our yard isn't completely fenced yet so I will be taking him out on a leash at least until I am certain he won't escape.

Any ideas are welcome on getting him (and me) on a good schedule.
I should also state that my day usually begins between 4:30 - 5:30 am.

Thanks for your advice.
--Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Iíve always taken mine out every hour. And when they wake up from a nap, and after they eat, and get done playing. Basically you are going out all the time, lol. I know itís a pain at first, but itíll pay off if youíll do it. Donít give your puppy a chance to go in the house. Donít expect him to tell you he needs to go out. And donít let him wander off in the house because if he needs to pee, heíll go.
tc68 likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Knighted Member

Hi Scott, I'm totally with Diane on this one, take him out tons LOL! Puppies at 9 wks don't have a whole lot of control yet, and they aren't going to warn you ahead of time. Keeping an eye on him "most of the time" won't work well initially, it has to be ALL the time. Puppies sniff around when they have to go, so learn your puppy, any schedule will develop as you learn your puppy, they're all different. Good luck, and congrats on the new puppy!
tc68 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Hi all - quick question about potty training in an apartment...

Should I carry my puppy (~11 wks) to the potty spot or walk her?

The potty spot from my unit is quite far (it's about 3-mins or so... I live on the top floor and the closest potty spot outside is on the other side of the building).

My pup has never had a defecation accident, but has had pee accidents a few times just walking to the potty spot.

I take the pup out every 2-3 hrs and after any event (waking from naps, 30m-1hr after eating).

I'll be moving to a new single family home in 2 weeks, but want to take advantage of the time of her being a puppy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Things seemed to go well for the last couple of days then last night 2 pee accidents and 2 poo accidents this morning and afternoon.
Getting frustrated. I thought about putting him into a crate but I don't like that idea. I may have no choice. The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break. Other than the potty thing, he's a great puppy and has bonded with me and my wife very well. Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post

I take the pup out every 2-3 hrs and after any event (waking from naps, 30m-1hr after eating).

Iím afraid Iím not much help on the apartment thing, but every 2-3 hours for an 11 week old puppy isnít often enough. You wonít have accidents if you take the puppy out more frequently.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzilla1 View Post
The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break.

I get it, not all puppies like the rain, but he still has to go out. I know it can be a challenge. When my dog Russ was a puppy, my neighborhood (and my house!) was hit by a tornado. I think I had only had him for about 2 weeks when it hit. It rained like crazy off and on, and there was debris everywhere, but he still had to go outside. It was not fun.

Do you go outside with him when itís raining?

~ Diane ~

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I go out with him every time. I never leave him outside alone as he seems to be a rock eater so I watch him and engage him in play as well. I will be training with him soon with a trainer so I will get some pointers on how to break him of that habit.
Just last night I went out with him after a nap and we played for almost an hour before he went potty (kind of surprising as that's usually the first thing he wants after a long nap). To be fair, he has good days and bad and we've only had him for 4 nights, this is the start of our 5th day with him. I apologize if I seem a little impatient . I know it will come in time.

Side note:
Would love to post a picture and maybe make him my avatar. can anyone please share how to do this?

--Scott
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

I also have a puppy right now that is being potty trained.

We are also crate training. He's crated at night, beside my bed so I can hear him stir.

We just get his little butt outside every time he wakes up from a nap or every hour during the day.

He's taken out again at midnight. The first week when he was 8 weeks he wanted out again around 3am(ish). Out we went. Kept my shoes & flashlight right by the door. He went potty, good boy, back to his crate.

We still let him out around midnight but he's good until 5am, the time I get up anyway.

He's had a few accidents in the house but all were our fault. All in all he's doing outstanding with potty training.

He's 11 weeks now and finally starting going to the door to wait, showing me his signal.
Scottzilla1 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzilla1 View Post
Things seemed to go well for the last couple of days then last night 2 pee accidents and 2 poo accidents this morning and afternoon.
Getting frustrated. I thought about putting him into a crate but I don't like that idea. I may have no choice. The taking him out once an hour thing is not a good option. It rains her in WA state and he seems to be a diva and is constantly wiping his face and running under the eaves of the house to avoid the rain. It's been dry here for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days it has poured off and on. I feel like I can't catch a break. Other than the potty thing, he's a great puppy and has bonded with me and my wife very well. Any other suggestions?

Put your raincoat on and walk the pup away from the house. Stand there and be boring so he doesn't get distracted and want to play. That's not the purpose of this little exercise! As soon as he's in mid-stream or mid-poop give him a verbal cue, like "Hurry, hurry." Praise him, return to the house and repeat. Over and over again for as long as it takes.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page