Crate Training in Apartment - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Crate Training in Apartment

Hey guys!

In preparation for my puppy coming home this weekend, I'm trying to cover all my last minute bases.

I am bringing home an 8 week old Czech WL puppy on Sunday, and am really really excited to have a new IPO prospect. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

The only thing I'm mildly concerned about is initial crate use. I live in an apartment, so the noise level makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any experience with crate training puppies in apartments? I took work off the first two days of next week so that I could spend time bonding with him and trying to get him adjusted, and then I will be working a split shift when I return to work (a few hours at work in the morning, home for a few hours, and then a few hours at work in the afternoon).

I'm incredibly excited for this little man to be home, just trying to get all of my ducks in a row in terms of a game plan. I want to tackle crate anxiety/nuisance barking early and would greatly appreciate any advice/experience you guys have to offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Crate Training in Apartment

Hey there!

I am bringing home a Czech WL puppy in a few days, and am trying to cover all my last minute bases.

I'm incredibly excited to bring this little guy home (he's an IPO prospect), but the only thing I'm mildly concerned about is the amount of noise he'll initially be making in the crate. I live in an apartment, and want to be sure that I'm being respectful to my neighbors, especially at night.

Does anyone have any tips for crate training puppies in apartments? I understand that 8 week old puppies are going to be upset in the crate initially, but nuisance barking is something I want to address right away. I would definitely be interested to hear any management techniques that you can think of!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

I would contact the breeder and ask if they can at least start an intro now thru pick up. If I lived in an apartment this probably would have been considered when selecting my breeder as well as waiting to bring the pup home at 10-12 weeks.

Aside from that I would feed all meals in the crate, find some sort of white noise, and keep the crate in your room initially.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 PM
Master Member

I have done this three times. Luckily two of them was no issue and no sound throughout the entire night. The third time was pretty horrendous and I warned my neighbors before hand. I will be bringing a puppy home in just a few weeks and my landlord lives above me right now, so I am a bit nervous about the crate training. I am very hopeful to be moving out of this apartment and into a house in the next few weeks though.
kenzandel likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Mod Note - I merged your two threads together to keep all the responses in one spot.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Elite Member

Crate games.
Also, whenever the puppy naps, right to the crate.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Master Member

I have crate trained in an apartment. The first two nights my puppy cried for about 15-20 minutes, then he was quiet until he had to go to the bathroom, then he cried when he went back in for another few minutes. I warned my neighbors beforehand and had them meet the puppy. No one complained, and the puppy stopped whining in a few days. I don't think it will be a big deal for you.

Enjoy the new puppy!
kenzandel likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Mod Note - I merged your two threads together to keep all the responses in one spot.
Thank you! I didn't realize that the first one posted before I made the second one, that was a nice surprise lol. Thanks!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

I think I'd be inclined to approach the nearest neighbors pre-emptively. Kinda like people do on airplanes sometimes with kids? Here's some fancy ground coffee and by the way my puppy may be a bit noisy while he settles in but if you can possibly bear with me it will be short lived...?
kenzandel likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
I would contact the breeder and ask if they can at least start an intro now thru pick up. If I lived in an apartment this probably would have been considered when selecting my breeder as well as waiting to bring the pup home at 10-12 weeks.

Aside from that I would feed all meals in the crate, find some sort of white noise, and keep the crate in your room initially.
I have a close relationship with the puppy's breeder, and she's fully aware of the concern. I am staying at their home for the weekend before I bring the puppy home with me and am planning on crating him there. The crate is in my bedroom and meals are being hand fed for training purposes, but if he does end up eating from a bowl it will be in the crate. I probably should have been more clear- I'm prepared for the fact that he's probably going to make noise. I was more looking for ways to stop it from continuing once it starts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page