Training and going deaf - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Training and going deaf

hi. i am maggies mom. she very smart 13 week old pup. tried petsmart training and it didnt work out. i just wanted socialization and a little help but the trainer didnt speak clearly enough for me to understand her.
right now my question is with potty training. i have it where maggie will go the sliding glass door and sit. this is the only door we go out to potty. i have to see her sit to know she has to go. recently she will come to me and cry sometimes even sit behind me, put her face in the one ear i can hear with and cry. shes done most of that on her own. i know i will be able to fully trained before i am completely deaf. i find bells and autodoors. does anyone know of a tip for training her now how to better notify me? I am planning on moving in a few months and i dont know if the new house will have sliding glass doors.
Its just me, mags and the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

I've trained two dogs to be my hearing ear dogs. I did it by holding a treat in my hand, and having the dog come and touch my hand.

When you see her by the door, call her to you, show her the treat, then close your hand around it. Once she physically contacts you with either her paw or nose, praise her, give her the treat, then take her to the door and let her out.

It should be pretty easy to teach!

P.S. - I had cochlear implant surgery done about 10 years ago, and it gave me my life back. Are you a candidate for this?

Last edited by Sunsilver; 06-04-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

hi i will def try this. was there a program you used? i am in md now, but i am almost done remodeling this house and will soon (hopefully) be in tennessee. shes a good puppy a little aggressive at times no more than what i read about other pups.
not food motivated so i use string cheese like someone suggested in another post...it works for a few min until she just takes it be nice and then puts it down...
she does sit with hand signals down and almost has rolling over . i use sounds with her. my dad said my voice has gone up i pitch over the last few years. so the ahah is a notnot sound he said...i try to do what the videos i see say....she will be 14 weeks tomorrow. she is still so young i dont want to push her. i try to make it fun.

i lost my hearing due to having rhuematic fever as a child that was untreated.
it has caused many issues with my heart. 3 yrs since open heart at 43) i am not a good canidate for most surgeries now.
my doc has never mentioned implants to me. they never even tipd me how i lost my hearing. just that i was in gradually going deaf. But we didnt know about the heart problems when i got my hearing aids my cardiologist said this was cause and it most def took my hearing too. I had to heart docs in md... i just know everytime i get my hearing checked i have lost a little more and more..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page