Housebreaking and work schedule - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By dogfaeries
  • 1 Post By Mame

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Housebreaking and work schedule

Hi everyone we bring our puppies home in 4 days! The way mine and my husbands schedules work out the pups will only be alone for 5-6 hours two days out the week. Otherwise someone will always be home with them to take them out.

Now we have already prepared and have a puppy proof area ready for those days. Puppy pads on one side, water and interactive toys on the other.

My main concern is will allowing them to use the restroom those days in house make potty training harder? We are going to crate train, but until they can hold their bladders the full 6 hours, we do not want to leave them no access to reliving themselves.

Any tips, ideas, experience appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:55 PM

I would ditch the pee pads. You donít want your dog to ever think itís okay to go in the house. The puppies are probably going to rip them up anyway. Ideally you would get someone to let them out during that 5-6 hour stretch. Is there anyone you can get to come in and do that?
IllinoisNative and Mame like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Master Member

I never used puppy pads when potty training my pup, don't really see the use of it since they're gonna go potty outside in no time. How old is your pup? My pup's stopped having accidents all at once when he hit 7 months. Before then I'd let him out every 2 - 4 hours. My advice is have someone take him out every 4 hours max. Use the 'natural pad' aka the grass/soil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Master Member

I worked with all my puppies, and I also didn't use pee pads. I never wanted my dog to think it was okay to go potty in the house. In addition, I didn't want to transition a dog from pee pads to outside. I felt it would be confusing to the puppy, and would delay potty training. My puppies usually started sitting by the door to go potty by 3-4 months. My current GSD was sleeping outside of the crate at 4 months from about 10:00 pm to 5:00 am. He would jump on me in the morning to let me know he had to go out. Smart puppy.

For those two days a week, is it possible to get a neighbor or pet sitter to let the puppy out after a few hours?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 PM

Definitely try to get someone to come relieve them halfway through the day. I had to leave mine inside the crate four hours at a time, twice a day, and at 8 weeks, he peed inside his crate. It wasn't perfect, but it was more important to me to manage his meal times to make sure he never *pooped* in his crate. I bought washable faux fleece liners for the crate and *luckily* he didn't eat them--your mileage may vary--so he wasn't sitting in a literal puddle, but I knew it would happen at that age. It only took a few weeks before he could go the four hours without incident. By sixteen weeks, six hours was a breeze. I agree it would have been far worse for me to leave him in an indoor exercise pen with puppy pads and free access to water. Dogs don't naturally want to use their "house" as a bathroom, so I actually believe it will aid in your crate and potty training to use the crate.
Scottzilla1 likes this.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page