20 foot leashes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 176
20 foot leashes?

Hello! 2 more weeks until we bring our puppy home! To prepare for our little guy I have used a system where each week since we were told he was born I have bought something else we will need for him. This week I am buying a crate with a divider but, in order to get that free 2 day shipping from Chewy.com I need $10 more in my cart. So I decided I'd buy a leash or 2. One I have is a drag leash and while looking I saw the 20 foot and longer leashes. I was wondering what everyone uses their 20 foot leashes for. I know sometimes it is used for recall training but, I have no experience in that. Our past dogs never ended up needing that training. They never left far from our side and if they happened to stray a little too far they have always been very obedient. Hopefully this guy is no different, but I was just wondering what different types of uses you all get out of these 20 foot or longer leashes; or how you did go about training with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33553661_2397350250278893_6931453350269419520_o.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	503370  
kaydub_u is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Elite Member
 
sebrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,881
I have a long leash for recall training...that's the only thing I use it for. If I didn't have a fenced yard, maybe I'd use it to let the dog wander around looking for a potty spot.
sebrench is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Moderator
 
car2ner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,153
I have a 30 ft leash that I use occasionally for sport training but to be honest, the handiest leash I've used besides a selection of 6 ft leashes is our 15 ft. It is a good length to give my dog a bit more freedom of movement without being a mess! I use it attached to a harness when I need to keep my dog on leash but want to give them the freedom to explore, or when we are working scent trailing. For other sports like IPO tracking, they require 30 ft.
Genalis_mom likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

car2ner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,513
Sabi had a 6' and a 15' that I used at work. Shadow has a 25' that I use to let her play since she cannot be off leash totally. I used a 20' foot for Bud when he was tracking.
With a puppy I would spend the money on toys since you will probably go through a few leashes before you settle on what you like. A lot of long lines are going to be heavy for a pup, and if you are competing there are various rules to be followed.
Genalis_mom likes this.
Sabis mom is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Sabi had a 6' and a 15' that I used at work. Shadow has a 25' that I use to let her play since she cannot be off leash totally. I used a 20' foot for Bud when he was tracking.
With a puppy I would spend the money on toys since you will probably go through a few leashes before you settle on what you like. A lot of long lines are going to be heavy for a pup, and if you are competing there are various rules to be followed.
It's so interesting how each dog suits a different leash. I've seen a whole thread on people discussing all their leash preferences. I think I'll take your advice on toys. I can always wait and get the leash months from now when I order dog food for him. I have a couple leashes from my German Shepherd mix that passed a few months ago as well. We also still have plenty of his toys left over but, until our puppy is caught up on all of his vaccines we won't be giving them to him. Just in case.
Sabis mom likes this.
kaydub_u is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I have a 30 ft leash that I use occasionally for sport training but to be honest, the handiest leash I've used besides a selection of 6 ft leashes is our 15 ft. It is a good length to give my dog a bit more freedom of movement without being a mess! I use it attached to a harness when I need to keep my dog on leash but want to give them the freedom to explore, or when we are working scent trailing. For other sports like IPO tracking, they require 30 ft.
The freedom in the future is part of the reason I considered getting the leash, its only $10 too. Where I live there are canals next to my home and all around our street and neighborhood. We have ducks, geese, and plenty of other animals all over the place. I'm not going to be letting him wander in these areas until he is caught up on vaccines, but in the future there are a lot of scents to catch his attention.

Also, you commented on my other post haha. We are going to be going with the Beaverdam dog food that you suggested.
car2ner likes this.
kaydub_u is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I have a long leash for recall training...that's the only thing I use it for. If I didn't have a fenced yard, maybe I'd use it to let the dog wander around looking for a potty spot.
Seems like I'll be in the same situation as you. I think from everyone's advice I'll wait for this and just buy him some more toys. I'm sure he will thank you all later haha.
kaydub_u is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Elite Member
 
CometDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,492
You wouldn't be using a long leash in the very near future, really. Unless to let him wander in an unfenced yard? The black thin cloth ones are very light and would be fine for a pup.

For 10 bucks, it you don't have them yet, I'd maybe see what puppy tugs they have?
Sabis mom likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CometDog is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
Master Member
 
Pytheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 915
I use my 15 and 30 foot leashes for doggy freedom in places they cannot legally be off leash, like in a park. That way they can still chase a ball, explore, smell, play, etc. while I still abide by the laws. None of my dogs ever actually need the leash. They are perfect when it comes to staying by me and coming when called, as well as walking in a heel off leash. It's strictly so I don't get a ticket!

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Pytheis is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:50 PM
Moderator
 
dogfaeries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
I use my 15 and 30 foot leashes for doggy freedom in places they cannot legally be off leash, like in a park. That way they can still chase a ball, explore, smell, play, etc. while I still abide by the laws. None of my dogs ever actually need the leash. They are perfect when it comes to staying by me and coming when called, as well as walking in a heel off leash. It's strictly so I don't get a ticket!
Same here! My favorite is the 15 foot one, but I've used both at the park.
Sabis mom and kaydub_u like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
dogfaeries is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome