6Likes
  • 3 Post By Mistermcgoo
  • 2 Post By Cassidy's Mom
  • 1 Post By Shane'sDad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Best training age?

Hi all,

My wife and I have a wonderful 11 week old black and tan female GSD. We’ve been working on basic obedience with her.. sit, stay, come, down, leash training etc. We think she has been doing fairly well.

We got to talking yesterday about if there is any correlation in ease of training and age? As in, have people more commonly found that their pups have more focus/trainability as they age or vice versa?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B78B3BB-2DE8-468D-A88B-2C0D1690DD91.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	502306   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F09D29-4AB0-4710-B32A-8FDD1E63F57F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	502314   Click image for larger version

Name:	8006A99E-536E-4119-9FEB-E90C3FFD3416.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	502322  
tim_s_adams, JaxsMom and Chuck94! like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Young puppies definitely have very short attention spans. But I've found that they're also little sponges, capable of soaking up quite a bit, as long as you keep training sessions very short, and fun. Three 5 minute sessions is better than one 15 minute session. I like to capture behaviors the puppy does on his/her own, and mark and reward them. The more puppy is reinforced for doing something the more he/she does it, and then you can put in cue by naming it.
Chuck94! and fionapup like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Master Member

Yup! Cassidy's Mom knows WAAAAAY more than me but from the very start I would just reward ANY and ALL positive behavior that she does by herself without you asking for anything! And Yea, if you try to do more than 5 mins per sessions at that age it will NOT be fun for both of you. Great looking puppy and enjoy her at that tiny tiny stage - I miss Rollo being that size/age SOOOO BAD and he is only 5 months!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Master Member

I agree with what's been said ....keep it short because of their lack of attention span....anything you do now should be "fun" for him......the worst thing at his age is becoming bored or irritated....again.fun-fun-fun.....as he grows into an adult he'll look forward too & enjoy training because it's "fun" which will make his life and yours much easier.....on your part calm and patient is key and finish each short session off... with some type of "play" that you and he both enjoy.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we will definitely try and keep our training sessions with her short. I have noticed that after about 10 mins she starts losing a bit of interest..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Before 5 months of age I found it extremely frustrating. After it turned into fun and it's much easier.

If you're not training for IPO/Schuz/police... I wouldn't worry to wait. I would focus on bonding, playing, teach him potty outside, sit and stop jumping before giving bowl with food. Rest once he's older.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Andy let's say you want to try your hand at IPO.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytn View Post
Andy let's say you want to try your hand at IPO.
The basics in raising a good dog are still the same- teaching how to learn, markers, shaping, engagement. Sport puppies would just in addition start some obedience foundation behaviors, luring, work on drive building, rear awareness, and brought to club early on, for example. But there's no need to necessarily start training obedience ASAP at 11 weeks or 4 months or 6 months. If you lay good foundations from a young age, they'll be able to learn complex behaviors any time in the future.

Katsuki vom Quellwasser - Pride - 10/1/17
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermcgoo View Post
We got to talking yesterday about if there is any correlation in ease of training and age? As in, have people more commonly found that their pups have more focus/trainability as they age or vice versa?
For sure! Young puppies have a smaller brain, shorter attention spans, still learning how to learn and how to work with you, what gets them rewarded and what doesn't. The world is new and they don't know much about anything yet.

For my puppy, she seemed to have a couple jumps in maturity and intuitiveness about what I'm asking of her and what training is all about, especially in the past couple weeks at 7-8 months.

Katsuki vom Quellwasser - Pride - 10/1/17

Last edited by fionapup; 05-22-2018 at 09:17 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM

I also would say each dog is there own Luna is very strong headed and I already see it will take some time for training. Angel our golden retriever is very sensitive, timid and fearful she looked towards us for guidance early, she would pick things up between two and three times after being shown. If she wasn't so scared she would have already had a rally and obedience title on her. Angel really started picking things up very fast around 4 month old.

Last edited by hoytn; 05-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page