6Likes
  • 3 Post By GandalfTheShepherd
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle
  • 1 Post By GandalfTheShepherd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Peeing or marking?

Hello, I have a 10 week old male GSD. I brought him home a week ago and since day one have crate trained. The regular routine is I take him out of the crate to the backyard. He urinates and sometimes poops and then we either play in the backyard or go inside to play fetch with a ball, then either back to his crate or sit by me leashed.

Since yesterday, he detours from bringing the ball back to me and heads into the piano room with the ball (which has no door) and immediately urinates. He's repeated this behavior twice more since it started yesterday.

I will stop him in the act with a stern "Uh Uh" and take him outside. Once outside he doesn't need to urinate. Could it be that what he's doing in the piano room is marking? He doesn't lift a leg. Also, I think he's to young to begin marking right?

If he's not marking, why is he urinating in the piano room after urinating in the back yard only 5 minutes earlier?

Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

BTW... when he urinates in the piano room he squats down and urinates onto the carpet.

Last edited by john55; 05-20-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Elite Member

You need a good enzymatic cleaner, a regular cleaner won't work. The puppy is smelling the scent and just peeing in that spot because he thinks it's his potty area. If you eliminate the scent with an enzymatic cleaner and consistently take him out at least every 15-30 minutes praise for peeing outside things will improve. He's still a puppy so he's still learning. That's not marking behavior and he is too young he just isn't potty trained. Don't scold for accidents in the house, just make a quick interrupting noise and carry him outside, praise for outside potty. Some puppies get this quicker than others and some just take a little more time. I raised one puppy who got it the day we brought him home at 8 weeks and he never had another accident in his life. My most recent puppy took about 4 months to be fully potty trained. He had some greater obstacles though since we lived on the third floor of an apartment. Be consistent and set a timer if you have to and take him out often. Any inside potty mistakes are on YOU, you were not watching him close enough or you didn't take him out in time. At 10 weeks old he's just starting to learn bladder control. He is just a little baby. Constantly keep an eye on him, and if you cannot put him in his crate or tether him to your belt loop.
dogbyte, Mame and john55 like this.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 05-20-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Music critic? He's just not clear on the pattern yet John. Don't give him too much freedom just yet, in his mind it could just be a little distance from the crate means potty area. Just keep being consistent and very direct with where he potties outside.
john55 likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Hi, do you have a recommendation on an enzymatic cleaner?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john55 View Post
We use this stuff:

Bissell Pawsitively Clean

Works well. Cleans up pee, poop, puke and removes the smell.
john55 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john55 View Post
I don't remember what kind we used since it's been a while since my guy was a puppy, but Amazon has some well rated ones. As long as it says "enzymatic cleaner" or has "enzymes" you should be good to go!
john55 likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Tether him to you until you get this stopped. Urine soaks into the padding also, so soak the area really well. We used the Bissell and had good luck with the Clorox Urine remover, which we could buy at Sams Club in bulk. Like that it often foams a little on the pee. That way I knew if I found wet spots, as Gunny was one that cleaned up his pee, I was getting all the pee spots..on hardwood.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page