rresistible treats for marker training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

rresistible treats for marker training?

Hey everyone,

So I'm trying to get the dog used to marker training. instead of constantly saying yes (I realized I catch myself too often changing the tone of my "yes!") I purchased a clicker. I'm trying to "charge the clicker" with my 8 month GSD.

He doesn't have a very high food drive, so I've tried few "training treats" and nothing really gets him going crazy... (I tried couple dog specific training treats)

I've heard and been recommended cutting up small pieces of hot dog for this. Apparently they have strong scent and dogs tend to get attracted to this as treat...

I guess my question is how much is too much. 1 hotdog per day for training? I don't want to upset his stomach either. I guess I can cut 1 hotdog fairly small for treats, but is that too much? half? 2? LOL... I have no idea...

I read the charging the clicker is a 20-30 min process, so that sounds like either alot of hotdog, or extremely tiny pieces lol.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. I also know about fresh pet and red barn. he wasn't very interested in red barn at a trainer I took him to for evaluation, but was interested in fresh pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

The key is to use small bits of treat, so the dog doesn't get full and he feels like he's getting "more". I agree with you , I prefer the clicker over a yes because how many times throughout the day are you going to say yes and confuse the dog lol. If my clicker isn't handy I simply say "click!". You could try little pieces of hot dog, real meats, and even stinky beef tripe they love. Do short little sessions more often rather than longer sessions. You know you've given too many treats when the dogs stool gets loose, so use common sense. If the poops still look good then you're probably fine. Oscar Meyer makes a leaner all beef hot dog version that's like 60 calories that my dog likes, he gets an entire hot dog plus some treats when we train. Watch the weight however if you don't have an active dog they can really put on the pounds quickly.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 05-19-2018 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Hotdogs, slice lengthwise twice (4 strips) than chop.

String cheese, pull off thin strips, they can be made to wriggle and entice prey drive.

Bag of pre-cooked spiced chicken strips. Diced.

Tuna Fudge:

1 large tin tuna ( human consumption) in spring water
2 eggs
2 cups flour.

Mix it all up, including water from tuna.
Spread on baking tray
180 c for 20-30 minutes. Dice and bag. <--(or buy silicon pyramid pan, I haven't made it yet)

You can increase interest in food by inciting prey/chase behaviours.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

Charging the clicker absolutely should not on any planet take 20-30 minutes. Myself and many of my colleagues do this on a regular basis..... 1 session, 2 minutes... and maybe 2-3 free clicks at the start of subsequent training sessions just to remind them of the game, but even that won’t be necessary for long.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Charging the clicker absolutely should not on any planet take 20-30 minutes. Myself and many of my colleagues do this on a regular basis..... 1 session, 2 minutes... and maybe 2-3 free clicks at the start of subsequent training sessions just to remind them of the game, but even that won’t be necessary for long.

omg I read the article wrong. 20-30 repetitions, not minutes! LOL. Thx
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
omg I read the article wrong. 20-30 repetitions, not minutes! LOL. Thx

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 PM

Happy Howies rolls chopped up are a hit at my house

Rose
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

so I've tried the hotdogs and he'll eat it, but I still can't find any treats that realllyyyy excite him.

He does take lots of petting/praising well though.

We were training getting in and out of the SUV's trunk few days ago and he had no interest in the food. I realized he really likes being highly praised and being petted instead of food. While "showing off" Chase's new skill to my wife, he instead veered off and ran away from me. I had to chase him down (no pun lol) and get him at my neighbor. This is where I realized I should have him on a long leash and not do any off leash training yet... (learning lesson)

So went back to our backyard and I started teaching him the "come" command. I taught him to touch his snout to my palm when I give the "chase, come!" command. He's doing pretty good, but I realized his key reward is to be loved. So I used a clicker when his snout touched my palm as the mark and instantly gave lots of love. This seems to have worked.

I'm new at this, but from what I can understand form my training him, food doesn't have to be the only thing. It can be a toy, food, or lots of love... He seems to prefer the love. this works for me because I can do that anytime.

Now I gotta keep practicing and proof it and introduce some distractions (which I did a little of already). He doesn't listen to my wife as well as he listens to me though, which aggravates my wife lol.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM

I have one dog that will ignore all food when distracted or put under pressure.

I have one dog that will ignore all distractions and pressure for a bit of his dry kibble.

Train the dog in front of you is said around here a lot for good reason, good work on changing things up and seeing results!
car2ner likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM

Dried anchovies works great for mine. They stink but he loves them &#x1f609;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page