Almost 4 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By CAROLINM
  • 2 Post By sebrench

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Almost 4 months

Hi, our puppy is almost 4 months now. He is quiet sweet. He loves car rides and meeting people. But he keeps biting my 9 year old sister.... just like playing, because they do play a lot. He is potty trained already, sleeps at night and takes naps during the afternoon, he sits on command and gives the paw. He adores his bed but he recently took its filling out of it, he likes being outside when the weather feels nice (it is a really hot city), he loves blueberries and dog biscuits. But he just discovered he can jump on people and chairs (somehow he never tries to sits on beds or couches), he also likes to bite chairs when we are not looking haha (But he has toys, some stronger than others).

Is there a way to handle how he bites my little sister?

Also, is there anything we can do with the jumping?

Would you encourage more socialization with other dogs? (He does not know many)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! You can find hundreds of suggestions for resolving these behaviors by searching older threads in this forum...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLINM View Post
Hi, our puppy is almost 4 months now. He is quiet sweet. He loves car rides and meeting people. But he keeps biting my 9 year old sister.... just like playing, because they do play a lot. He is potty trained already, sleeps at night and takes naps during the afternoon, he sits on command and gives the paw. He adores his bed but he recently took its filling out of it, he likes being outside when the weather feels nice (it is a really hot city), he loves blueberries and dog biscuits. But he just discovered he can jump on people and chairs (somehow he never tries to sits on beds or couches), he also likes to bite chairs when we are not looking haha (But he has toys, some stronger than others).

Is there a way to handle how he bites my little sister?

Also, is there anything we can do with the jumping?

Would you encourage more socialization with other dogs? (He does not know many)
for biting, I would say to tell your sister that everytime your pup bites, to ignore him and to stop playing. With time he will understand that bite equals no play time. For jumping, go out for a training session and just run around with him. When he starts to be excited and starts jumping. Just walk away and ignore him . Praise him for sitting and being happy rather than jumping. Again, with time you should see results 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofisofi View Post
for biting, I would say to tell your sister that everytime your pup bites, to ignore him and to stop playing. With time he will understand that bite equals no play time. For jumping, go out for a training session and just run around with him. When he starts to be excited and starts jumping. Just walk away and ignore him . Praise him for sitting and being happy rather than jumping. Again, with time you should see results 🙂

We sometimes try to give him a time out when he bites her more than once and gets a little crazy (small weird moments)... But then she goes and sets him (without telling us), their relationship is as if they were both puppies sometimes.... Yeah, I think we have to pay more attention to the little details between those two.

We will focus on her ignoring him every time he bites. Cause he is doing it harder lately.

I am already looking for a training class or group (there are not many). But I have figured that there are two that could be the right choice for him (One gives personal classes to correct bad behaviors and the other has group basic behavior sessions from mondays to thursdays with many dogs, My mom prefers the first one and I prefer the second one, but we''ll figure it out)....

Thank you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

I think that signing up for obedience classes is the best thing you can do. In fact, I think it might be a good idea to complete several classes with your puppy. Your puppy sounds completely normal, (GSD puppies can be challenging) and an experienced trainer will be able to help you immensely with the issues you are having. Just pick a competent, balanced trainer. Good luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I think that signing up for obedience classes is the best thing you can do. In fact, I think it might be a good idea to complete several classes with your puppy. Your puppy sounds completely normal, (GSD puppies can be challenging) and an experienced trainer will be able to help you immensely with the issues you are having. Just pick a competent, balanced trainer. Good luck!

Yes, I have been talking to a few trainers that are locally available. Most of them want the dog to stay at their facilities for a month, and we do not want that. My dad and mom get crazy with the idea. We already think he is growing too fast hahaha (he is like 20 kg) and we would not want to loose a month of his puppy life. So, we want a trainer that gives group sessions (so he can socialize) and that can come to our house to correct two or three behaviors (such as biting my sister, jumping on us and getting anxious when we eat). We are almost there with deciding.

For the most part he is a great normal puppy, he likes other dogs but he barked at my cousin's poodle mix (but that dog is weird, she hates my sisters and I), considering he came from a really small litter (with a few personal issues with the breeder). My dad adores him, but when he bites he compares him to a Working Line we had when I was a little kid, and the thing about that puppy is that he was given to us at almost 4 months, and he had basic training at that time (so he was a charm of a puppy haha).

Anyway, thank you, the trainer is the way to go.
sebrench likes this.

Last edited by CAROLINM; 05-28-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Sounds like you're doing really well. I don't think you need to send your pup away for a month. I think group or private lessons would be more than adequate--preferable even, as the trainer will be able to see you interact with the pup and will teach you how to train him. If you post your general location, maybe someone can recommend a good trainer. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.
wolfy dog and CAROLINM like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Sounds like you're doing really well. I don't think you need to send your pup away for a month. I think group or private lessons would be more than adequate--preferable even, as the trainer will be able to see you interact with the pup and will teach you how to train him. If you post your general location, maybe someone can recommend a good trainer. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

I am in Mexico actually.... In the north, next to Arizona, so we have a really hot weather and in this time of the year is hard to find places for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page