6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mary Beth
  • 2 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 1 Post By Arathorn II
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Cool Home Alone

So Ranger our 15 month old is up to being home alone with our older dog for 2 hours. He has free range to the master bedroom/master bathroom, hallway, living room/dining room(which is not used as a dining room other than a buffet table.)

Tomorrow I am thinking of upping it to 2.5 to 3 hours and maybe 5 hours on Friday.

Would love to hear y'all's opinions/stories. Thanks!
Attached Images

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

The other bedrooms are closed and the kitchen is blocked off

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

Since Ranger is behaving well for the 2 hrs. that you are absent, I agree with you to try to increase the time, but I would do it slower say a week at a time. If Ranger does well on 2.5 hrs. next week, then increase to 3 hrs. for the following week and so on. I just think go from 2.5 hrs. to 5 by Friday may be pushing it too much. It could be he is napping now when you are gone, but a sudden longer time, he make wake up from his nap and start to occupy himself. Of course, if he is a dog who has always behaved well, then he may be able to adjust more quickly to the longer time.
Heartandsoul and Arathorn II like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 AM
Elite Member

My boy had free roam pretty quickly, but he was never a destroyer. That said, I always closed the bathroom doors because of any room, if he got it in his mind to get mischievous, that would be the room he would probably pick on. There is just something about toilet bowls, toilet paper and bathroom trash cans.
Sunsilver and Arathorn II like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:10 AM

My girl has access to all rooms 24/7 since she was 3 months old.

Longest she was left alone was maybe 6 hours.

She never destroyed anything. So guess it depends on a dog. And you should know the best if he can/can't be trusted. Mine can.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I've seen a lot of growth in maturity in Ranger in the last month so we are hopeful it will not be a difficult transition. By the start of next school year we are hoping he will able to stay inside 6-8 hours.

I've always preferred my dogs stay inside when we're not home. Less issues with the weather and they can smell us within the house which I believe leads to less anxiety than if they were left outside all day.

So today I drove my wife down for her take a test to become a certified teacher, took my time driving back home and even got a haircut. Total time 2 hours 40 minutes.

After being home for an hour my wife called saying she had completed her test. I picked her up and then we got a bite to eat before returning home. Total time just over 2 hours.

I am thinking maybe upping that to 3 - 3.5 hours on Saturday when we normally go to Church then maybe one day next week trying for around 4.5 to 5 hours.

@Heartandsoul

I think toilet paper and napkins are temptations even to adult dogs! lol

Our old dog was fascinated by napkins and toilet paper can be just as much fun as a regular toy to Ranger

Heartandsoul likes this.

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Master Member

My dog isn't a big destroyer either. He was sleeping out of his crate at 4 months and never destroyed any thing. He never really tried to gnaw on tables, couches, rugs, shoes, or walls. The only thing he chews inappropriately is his bedding in his crate when I'm at work. Interesting, he doesn't chew his bedding when I'm home or when he's out of the crate. He's almost 14 months old. I've left him inside while I've walked my other dog - no damage. I've left him twice for about an hour while I've run to the grocery store - no damage. I may expand my time gone to 2 hours.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Elite Member

Every dog is different! Gandalf was free to access all rooms of the house at around 4 months old. The last time he chewed up something he was 9 weeks old and it was our tv cable lol. Since that incident though he's been an angel, although every time I come home there's 1 pillow on the floor. I tuned into the security cameras and as soon as I walk out the door apparently he jumps on the couch and knocks the pillow on the floor hah! He's a good boy, never counter surfed either. He has never messed with the toilet paper or trash cans in the bathroom. The cat on the other hand.... I always walk him before I leave though and give him a cookie when I walk out the door so he looks forward to me leaving and he knows I'll return. I try not to ever leave him more than 4 hours, but usually he goes everywhere with me. Gandalf is 16 months old now. My first shepherd was awful up until the day he died but he was on seizure meds that made him eat funny things. He ate the skin off a furby once and it looked like the terminator.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 05-10-2018 at 08:39 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Ranger is becoming less and less fascinated with paper or stuff on the bookshelf in my office.

The thing he was most destructive with in the house was our bed sheets - we had to get new ones.

He will still paw at and bite them occasionally to get my attention if he wants to play or needs to go out.

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

That vid made me laugh and brought back a long forgotten memory of my own boys bubble gum chewing of paper, especially Kleenex lol. how I could have forgotten is a mystery because it was bad to the point that I stopped buying Kleenex. It's strange that I remembered shutting those doors but not the chewing. Thanks for the memory prompt and the chuckle. he did grow out of it.
Arathorn II likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page