6 month old... chooses when to listen - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

6 month old... chooses when to listen

I have a 6 month old GSD female. She chooses when to listen, and honestly only ever comes for treats. I just started walking her with a prong collar today which was a freaking blessing as there was almost no pulling. I plan on walking her strictly with a prong collar until I never have to flick my wrist and then I will know we can go to a regular collar. However, she hardly listens and obeys me. ONLY if there are treats does she listen. I don't even know how to get her to wean off of treats if she doesn't listen when I don't have them.

I'm desperate. I'm looking for any tips anybody has. Please. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Master Member

What is it that she doesn't listen to? What is it that you want her to do? I don't know your level of experience. Mine is only with the one dog I have now. They are smart dogs and because of that it makes you think they understand and are more capable of focus under any circumstance. Just because my dog will walk perfectly in one parking lot does not mean he will in a new parking lot the next day.
Much for us is just getting his focus so he can think about what I am asking and to get good focus I can only put him in environments where he is ready. I know he is ready by his state of mind. Btw I still use treats at 14 months. I learn better ways to teach things all the time and I start over. 6 months is super young I would lower your expectations use your leash and treats and put her in environments where she can succeed at giving you what you want and avoid putting her in environments where you both end up frustrated. Hth
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Master Member

This is the dog that has been living with your parents and been "spoiled" as you called it? It will take a lot of time undoing the un-training your parents have done. You need to completely restart and have next to no expectations. I think you need to find a trainer that YOU can go to. Forget your parents doing it. That doesn't help you. And Petco/Petsmart classes are practically worthless. The only reason I would take classes there is if my dog was already trained and I was simply proofing him/her.

Hopefully you will have full control and live with your dog from now on. Otherwise I don't see this getting better. Is it possible for you to find a trainer to work with? If you give your general area, others can make some suggestions on good trainers for you. Please don't take this as me attacking you or putting you down. I completely understand how hard it can be to have a puppy, especially when others have raised it and taught it bad habits!

If you have questions about how to train specific tasks, we would be glad to help. As is, your dog needs more bonding and motivation to work for you, I think. Good luck.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 PM

- enforcing commands every single time no matter what

For example:

My 7 months old girl is on the leash only when crossing the roads. If I want to put her on/off the leash, she has to sit first.
She also stopped listening around 5/6 months. So I would stand there and wouldn't move until she would come next to me and sit.
I remember once standing there for 15 minutes while she was running around and sometimes checking me (because she knew exactly what she's supposed to do).
Thanks to that when I say 'sit', her bottom is on the ground immediately. Since I proved to her that otherwise walk will not continue.

- Same goes for example with feeding. Not siting and being calm? I'm not putting the bowl on the ground. Even if I should stand here for 2 hours.
- No door manners? Doors are not opening.
- No coming to me on recall? Walk and fun doesn't continue. I'm waiting.
- Not giving me paw? Not throwing ball.

And yes, it works!

In moments like that remember, that you are not going on the the walk and she/he is not wasting your time. You are having a training session. Don't be frustrated.
Breana' and Natra like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Yep this is the dog that my dad has spoiled. She cries whenever she is in the crate alone! I've tried leaving her there but somebody gets annoyed and takes her out. I just don't know how. I'm not moving out for another couple weeks as the house I will be renting is under renovation in another state (north carolina). I'm currently in the central NJ area. If anybody knows any affordable trainers maybe I can get one or two classes. I want her to be a good girl that is loyal to me, I am just really struggling with how to do it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
- enforcing commands every single time no matter what

For example:

My 7 months old girl is on the leash only when crossing the roads. If I want to put her on/off the leash, she has to sit first.
She also stopped listening around 5/6 months. So I would stand there and wouldn't move until she would come next to me and sit.
I remember once standing there for 15 minutes while she was running around and sometimes checking me (because she knew exactly what she's supposed to do).
Thanks to that when I say 'sit', her bottom is on the ground immediately. Since I proved to her that otherwise walk will not continue.

- Same goes for example with feeding. Not siting and being calm? I'm not putting the bowl on the ground. Even if I should stand here for 2 hours.
- No door manners? Doors are not opening.
- No coming to me on recall? Walk and fun doesn't continue. I'm waiting.
- Not giving me paw? Not throwing ball.

And yes, it works!

In moments like that remember, that you are not going on the the walk and she/he is not wasting your time. You are having a training session. Don't be frustrated.
Sorry I guess I replied wrong to the other poster. The prong collar made a massive difference in the walk. In fact over the last couple days I've noticed a different attitude. She jumps on the couch and then looks at me, I get upset and stand up to scold her, and bam she's on the ground. I ignore her when I first come home (but I notice she's super happy to see me (her tail is wagging and she won't stop looking at me)), eventually she calms down out of her excitement and then I go and say hello. Today I messed up and forgot to be strict when I fed her and just put food out and she ate it in her cage, then started whining until my dad took her out of course ugh. I'm learning, but I'm really trying
tc68 likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

Holy Cow! Breathe for a second. This is a 6 month old puppy that you have spent no time with.

Lets get back to some basics here.
First the crate, put her in for a minute, stand right there, and AS SOON as she is quiet let her out and praise, praise, praise. Increase the time by minutes and your distance from the crate. Play games with it. Send her in, praise, call her out. Praise. Great time to work on the foundation for stay and wait as you are sending her in and calling her out.
Lets get SIT solid. If she has a solid sit it will make up for a lot of other weak spots.

And can we get the prong collar off the puppy? Corrections should be for things she knows, at this point she knows nothing.
Getting angry at her for being on the couch is only showing her you are not stable.
Approach this not in terms of "I don't want you doing this" but in terms of "I want you to do this". So Take her calmly off the couch and sit her on the floor and pet and praise her there.

I applaud you for wanting a well behaved dog, but this is a puppy. And one who was spoiled. She needs time to learn a whole new set of rules. How you approach teaching her will dictate what kind of relationship you share with her in the coming years.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 AM
Master Member

The advice above me is so good. I could be wrong but I think a dog can learn how to behave with one person and how to with another. What they can get away with with one and not the other. Behaviors can be transferred by teaching with the new person. The puppy can learn how and what you expect.
I would say it's not to late to tether the puppy to you so bad behaviors like couch jumping di not happen. Take the pup outside have an awesome play session, lure with treats behaviors, play again. Go back in pup attached to you sit on the couch lure to a down and rest. Reward the down ever so often. Feed part of dinner this way. I don't know the back story but I do know what I've learned I've done right and wrong as time passes.
At 14 months I just put my dog back on leash in the house to conquer our last in home bed behavior cat chasing. All these things take time and patience. More patience when you don't know what your doing and the people you live with do not fall in line.
I would venture to bet if you do well, play and train, train yourself then be consistent with the dog...people will see your results and want to fall in line with what you are doing.
Be specific with the forum members wealth knowledge here.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Holy Cow! Breathe for a second. This is a 6 month old puppy that you have spent no time with.

Lets get back to some basics here.
First the crate, put her in for a minute, stand right there, and AS SOON as she is quiet let her out and praise, praise, praise. Increase the time by minutes and your distance from the crate. Play games with it. Send her in, praise, call her out. Praise. Great time to work on the foundation for stay and wait as you are sending her in and calling her out.
Lets get SIT solid. If she has a solid sit it will make up for a lot of other weak spots.

And can we get the prong collar off the puppy? Corrections should be for things she knows, at this point she knows nothing.
Getting angry at her for being on the couch is only showing her you are not stable.
Approach this not in terms of "I don't want you doing this" but in terms of "I want you to do this". So Take her calmly off the couch and sit her on the floor and pet and praise her there.

I applaud you for wanting a well behaved dog, but this is a puppy. And one who was spoiled. She needs time to learn a whole new set of rules. How you approach teaching her will dictate what kind of relationship you share with her in the coming years.
Thanks for this. I've been nicer to her at least today lol when she tries to jump on the couch and she corrects immedietely. How can I train in a way where she consistently responds to commands? When I call her, lets say I'm 10 feet away, if she can see me she doesn't come. But if I go around the corner and call her, she will come. It's so weird and I don't understand it. I praise the crap out of her when she gets to me (I'm trying to not use treats), but I don't understand it. I'm having an issue with sit, she will just sit herself whenever she comes to me. I never say it. Is that bad? How do I do it so it is consistent? Thank you
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 02:38 AM
Master Member

Look I am a novice and I will tell you something that is becoming abundantly clear to me. The leash is a great tool.

Dogs learn by one you doing something the exact same way everytime I mean precisely you have to train yourself then they learn thru repetition.

What ever behavior you want, the more the dog enjoys the behavior, the more he is motivated to do the behavior you ask, the easier the repetition and obedience to said command will be.

It takes time lots of time and consistency in the behavior being something they enjoy. Take recall for example say your dog loves fetch. 2 ball recall everytime your dog is running back to you for that ball you say come (exact same way everytime) and take a step back the dog will speed up that creates a positive association in the dogs mind with that word and running towards you. After sometime you can fine tune to add a sit in front of you. All under no distraction.

If it is safe it's great to hide from your dog and have them find you. It creates the I better keep an eye on my person. Same with walks my dog forges I take steps backwards or turn 180. The 180 creates
a penalty for the dog because they are instantly behind you. I can't tell you how many 180's I've done but it works. Leash walking is a fine tuning. Which leg do they follow...do you want loose leash or heel. It's very precise

Look the more precise you are the better the dog.

Use your leash if you call her she can see you use varied leash lengths. Call her be to her side recall then use slight leash straight pressure level with the neck to the SIDE of the dog(never back). The instant she turns to you mark and reward when she gets to you ....do u have a marker for reward?

Nothing wrong with treats but you have to be strategic. It's like a game of chess.

If your dog sits when she comes that's great! Reinforce that sit. Recall means come to me until I say you can leave.

You want your dog consistent. You get solid at home with your voice. Then leave home and train. Smells and other dogs are my trouble. My dog is 14 months and not solid but **** smart and patient with his dodo owner. We have fun together.

I spent every outing just playing/training practice just like in the yard with my dog. It's been about 2 months maybe that I am trying without play to institute everything we have worked on.

Trust me I still struggle I lost my dog in my own yard today from a squirrel. I had a long line as back up. I lost him today to kids walking up my road I had my long line. The more I use the leash he learns what I expect from reps. He is dog reactive. I have no doubt we will get where we are going as I learn how he learns. I have used an amazing amount of patience LOL. He deserves it. He still chases my cats. If I am honest he is such a good dog that anywhere he fails I blame myself for MY lack of knowledge to show him. This dog is quick AF when I get it right that light bulb glows.

Do you have marker words well established with your dog?
Nurse Bishop and Natra like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page