Biting for attention? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Biting for attention?

Male almost 6 months old puppy has a nasty habit of biting me if he doesn't get the attention, treats or toys he thinks he deserves. I have been using reward based clicker training and he has responded really well. Walks beautifully in heel position whether I'm running or walking slowly with baby buggy, sits, lies down, stands and stays in position until released, walks between my legs military style, knows a bunch of fun tricks and he's lovely with every one etc etc but every now and again he gets a bee in his bonnet and will just randomly attack me. Mainly if he is free in the house with nothing to do, he will just come over to me and start gnawing on me. Or on walks from immaculate behavior to jumping up and biting my arm for no apparent reason. Is this normal puppy soon adolescent behavior? He's shed all his puppy teeth. On walks I correct by snapping his collar back when he tries to jump and bite and telling him no but otherwise ignoring him. Inside he gets put away in a pen. He sleeps in a crate at night and I worry that he gets too much confined time because we rely on the pen to keep him switched off when we have our hands full with other things. He's outside walking or playing for about 3 hours per day and maybe has 1 or 2 hours total of free time inside. Welcome suggestions and experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you two are dong great. Stay the course and work though his puberty bouts. One day after a year or so, you suddenly realize that he still remembers what you taught him. Kinda like my kids when they turn 25.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 04:51 PM

What Wolfy said.I'll add make sure your leash correction results in him stopping immediately.One clear firm correction.
sebrench likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

I'm no trainer or expert, but I think it sounds like normal adolescent behavior. I would give him a leash or collar correction, and then have him do a few sits and downs (puppy push-ups). I would try to stay calm and matter-of-fact when it happened so as not to make the action any more stimulating (no jerking back, shrieking, ect). What do you use to walk him? I'd avoid a harness. Depending on the dog, I'd use either a martingale or a prong (if they are allowed where you are and if you have someone experienced who can teach you how to use it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page