Crate training going very badly. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Crate training going very badly.

So I got Luna Thrusday and she hated the crate that night and the next. Out of the dogs I have had she is the longest one that whines in the crate. Ignoring her isn't possible. She makes some god awful sounds.

Last edited by hoytn; 04-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Where is the crate?

SQUIRREL!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

It is a airtravel crate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I now put her in the same crate as my golden, crate is more then big enough for both of them. She whines like a cat, i am going to try my best to ignore her for a bit and see if she settles down but she can go for at least 30 mins easy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

Your pup or dog will get used to the crate is she has a crate of her own and is roomy. Crating two dogs in one crate is very dangerous. On Craigslist you may be able to find a large crate for your pup or dog. During the night we had a crate next to our bed the first few weeks and that helped max settle down as a pup. We had another crate in the kitchen. This worked there are a lot of crate training games on the internet. You want to make the crate fun and always bring the pup out of the crate when the pup or dog is quiet and calm - rewarding the calm behavior.
http://www.dogtrainergames.com/crate...ing-kennel-up/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-28-2018 at 09:17 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Currently the crate is in the living room with me, Thursday night it was in the room with me. I got no sleep thrusday so the wife took the puppy shift last night because I had a massive migraine, I was feeling nauseous and felt like I was overheating. I wanted to see if the crate being bigger would settle her it didn't. Currently she is sleeping with my golden at my feet if I move she gets up. I still need to moew the yard LOL, if I crate her she freak she will make a sound like a mad cat, then I can hear her panting very loudly. When she was quite I did give her a treat but she got up and started her whining routine. I had to take her out of the crate because the sounds she was making honest to God freaked me out. The other thing is she will he going to work with me so I need her to he relaxed in the crate. I want to do some tough love but I am worried she will poop and pee in the crate. My other dogs whined for a few mins and then went to bed she will go solid for 30 to 45mins, clawing and just generally freaking out. It is almost like separation anxiety but I feel she is to young for that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

I found it helped tremendously when I had an extra crate next to the bed at night I would put my hand on top of the crate it helped max settle into the crate and with new his new family. First night we slept downstairs with him being in the crate, second night he slept in our bed and the third night I finally figured it all out and put one crate near our bed and had another crate in the kitchen. Followed similar crate training games I posted and this helped he whined about 1/2 day In his crate that was in the kitchen during the day. We often let him potty during the night and he did his business right away - and settled in right away for a few weeks and he never once had accident in his crate.
Crate- let out to potty then play or train then potty then crate. A way of life for quiet a time. Everytime he went back in crate he had a good treat to keep him busy and he was fed his meal and water in the crate and meals and water removed out of crate when he finished his breakfast and dinner. Again so important to only let pup out of crate when pup is calm if you let your pup out of crate when whining and crying you are teaching your pup that that kind of behavior is what will let her out of the crate.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 04-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

No, jenny i 100% agree with you about clam and let them out but Luna will whine for a VERY long time and if i say her name she will be quite for a little bit if i move towards her she will be quite but if i do nothing else she is back at it with the epic whinging. i just got done doing some basic training sit, down, treats in the crate i do feed hr in her crate right now. I mean this currently is the struggle she will actually whine if she out of the crate and needs to go potty, never had a dog do that normally i need to train them for that. she is mouthy but then again she is a puppy i except that. the crate training is the hurdle of the week
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

currently she is in the living room sleep by the couch im in a different room and she is fine, but if i out her in the crate game over i lose. i prefer her in the crate out of safety.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

she is a sweetheart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_125554.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	497241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_200407.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	497249  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page