Do not pet (and a brag and a vent) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Do not pet (and a brag and a vent)

Genali had her second vet apt this morning. I usually try to schedule vet appts. early in the morning when its less crowded, but that didn't work out today. The place was packed! I have never seen so many ill-mannered dogs in one place. The great dane that needed TWO people to hold his leash was barking constantly, which riled up the extremely overweight poodle. The poodle decided to hate Genali and just freaked out at her. She LUNGED at Genali because her owner had her on one of those retractable leash things (The staff stepped in immediately and handled that poodle).

Through all this, Genali sat and watched. She didn't whine nor did she bark. She didn't cower, she just watched, glancing at me every now and then like "what the FREAK?" When the poodle started acting aggressive and the owner laughed and said "Princess is very protective of me" , I decided to put Genali on the bench next to me. Not long after that is when the poodle lunged. Genali growled back and laid down with her front feet on my lap. So proud of my girl! I may need a muzzle for me if that happens again.

THe only issue that I had with Genali was when the lady brought in her rabbit. It was in a carrier but Genali just about turned inside out wanting that rabbit. I was grateful that she has been learning "look". I was able to settle her down pretty quick, but she still wanted that rabbit, lol.

What was worse than the ill-mannered dogs was the ill-mannered people. Everyone kept wanting to put their hands on my dog. One lady was using a treat and saying "C'mere pretty puppy" to MY dog who was the only dog that was actually behaving. I growled that time. Again, Genali was cool. She didn't cower from them and she also did not ask for their attention.

I do not want strangers petting her. I do not want her learning to ask for treats and petting from strangers. I want her rock solid steady around strangers, but her focus should be on me. This is a new issue for me......no one tried to pet my dobes or my mastiff. Surely there are others on this forum that don't want strangers loving up on their dog, so how do you handle this? What is a polite way to say "BACK THE FREAK OFF"?

I can train dogs. I just don't "people" very well.
NewtoK9 and andywhite like this.

It was worth it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
So proud of my girl! I may need a muzzle for me if that happens again.

Oh yeah! I can SO relate, especially after what happened to Star and me earlier this week! Good for you, and good for Genali!

Gosh, I wish people would TRAIN THEIR FRICCKEN DOGS!!

And a dog 'being protective' of its owner in a non-threatening situation is NOT CUTE, no matter what said owner thinks!

Glad the clinic staff stepped in!
Sabis mom and Genalis_mom like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

This vet's office is great. They told me to bring Genali by just for visits, and that I can bring her to just sit in the lobby for training purposes if I wanted to (I don't live in a very doggy area, so this is a helpful offer!)

I have complete faith that Genali will be solid around dogs and people with training. I gotta work on ME. That poodle really riled me up. I was afraid that the owner would not be able to contain her....this was not a teacup or a mini.....she was about the size of a cocker spaniel. She could have messed Genali up and caused fear or aggression. I may take the vet's office up on their offer, because I saw how quickly they handled the situation. Loved how they handled Genali.........spoke to me first and allowed her to size them up before reaching for her.

I am researching. I see "Do not pet! In training!" vests. Have any of you used these? Do they work with stupid people?

It was worth it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Genali'smom: I have trained two dogs to be my hearing ear dogs. I don't have a 'do not pet' sign on the vest, but most people do ASK before petting when they see the vest. Also, both my dogs were very well trained to ignore distractions (humans and other dogs.)

However, from what I've heard from the service dog community, it is amazing the number of people out there who can't or won't READ!!
Genalis_mom likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

This is why my dogs stay in the car until they are called or we sit where there are no other animals
Heartandsoul, Muskeg and car2ner like this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Aly
Master Member

Kudos to Genali and you! Sounds like you're both doing a terrific job. As to your question, I don't have a problem telling people to back off and, in the circumstances you've described (person fails to ask permission first and approaches with bribes, no less), I don't waste time being polite either. "Hey! Don't Pet The Dog!!" works just fine. With adult dogs and really stupid/pushy people, I've also been known to say, "Back up! This dog BITES!"

My first priority is to protect my dog; my second priority is to teach the dog how to respond to (or ignore) inappropriate approaches from strangers. I can't accomplish my second goal if I don't attend to the first.

YMMV

Aly
Sunsilver and Genalis_mom like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

The only time I ever took Inga to the vet was to get a torn ear sutured after she ran under a barb wire fence. Inga had never been to the vet because I did her puppy vaccinations myself. I got her rabies shot at a mobile vet that comes to TSC. So the vet's waiting room was packed. I took Inga and weighed her and sat as far away from people and animals as possible and downed her. It was a circus of yowling cats in boxes, chihuahuas that bark like women screaming, and breeds of dogs so bizarre that I doubt Inga recognizes then AS dogs. That plus all the dogs in the kennels in the back barking Help! Help! Help! in dog language. Inga did OK, considering. She broke the down a few times, then settled. Suddenly, the door to the exam room in front of us bust open. A German Shepherd bitch came out. With a roar the bitch instantly charged Inga, dragging her people behind. Inga lept to her feet to answer the challenge and there was a full on vocal dog fight. I mean, furious barking at the ends of leashes slinging saliva in each other's faces. To my astonishment, the couple's little daughter came out and stood between the lunging dogs with her hands over her ears. The couple dragged the bitch away out the door. Inga! I said, Down! She downed and everybody broke into applause.

People ask to pet her I just say nicely, not right now, she's in training. And she will be in training the rest of her life.
Genalis_mom likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

OK, well I feel better about it then. I wasn't so friendly to people who tried to say "oh, but she so cute I can't help myself".

Perhaps I should just start rambling and talking to invisible people when they do this. Maybe that will scare them off.

It was worth it!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Elite Member

I admit I did a naughty thing with people trying to pet one time. I was sitting with Inga and my two cousins at a state park picnik table. Inga was tied to the bench and my back was to the sun. I looked down and sideways to see the shadow of a person half bent down and creeping toward Inga with hand extended. From behind my back I heard a voice asking Can I pet her? No, she's in training I said. Oh, for a therapy dog? Without turning around I said Nope, attack dog.
Sunsilver, Genalis_mom and das1 like this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I admit I did a naughty thing with people trying to pet one time. I was sitting with Inga and my two cousins at a state park picnik table. Inga was tied to the bench and my back was to the sun. I looked down and sideways to see the shadow of a person half bent down and creeping toward Inga with hand extended. From behind my back I heard a voice asking Can I pet her? No, she's in training I said. Oh, for a therapy dog? Without turning around I said Nope, attack dog.
Love it! Ok, now I can't wait for someone else to ask.....

It was worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page