Potty training help - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sebrench

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Potty training help

I just recently got a German Shepard puppy from a Breeder. She is 4 months old and had been living in an outdoor facility on a ranch. It was all concrete and dirt or hay there so now I am having a lot of trouble potty training her at my home. She keeps going on our tile in our kitchen or bathrooms and doesn’t seem to understand the concept of going on the grass in our yard even though she sees our other dogs do it. Any help or advice please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 AM
Elite Member

Congratulations on your new puppy. Are you crate training her? I'm not sure from your post what methods you're already using, but here are some basics:

Keep your pup in a crate when you can't watch her. When she is loose in the house take her outside every hour or even more frequently if she needs it. Praise her when she goes outside. Clean up any mistakes with an enzymatic cleaner so that she isn't attracted back to the same spots. Always, always, supervise your pup when she is loose!

Be patient, it's a lot of work, but she'll get there, and it'll be worth it in the end! Here's a link with more details.

How to Potty Train a Puppy: A Comprehensive Guide for Success
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 PM

I’ve had my 3 month old male gsd for over a month and this method seems to be working well so far. I took him out about twice every hour or a few minutes after he ate or drank. I continued to say “(name) potty” until he did. I praised him. After a couple weeks i started asking him to sit at the door before i opened it. After a couple times of doing this, he started to go to the door himself and sit. Be quick though to get to the door because your pup might get impatient and pee at the door. My pup still has an accident here or there but his potty training is improving by doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page