House training young puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By dogfaeries
  • 1 Post By m0mof6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

House training young puppy

We recently got a 7 week old puppy. Our last puppy was 9 weeks old when we got him (a mutt) and could go 2 hours during the day on average before needing to go out. This new guy, Smokey, often goes 10-20min apart (sometimes up to an hour) unless he's sleeping and then 2-3 hours during the day and up to 5 at night. We've had him at home since Sunday afternoon. He's really smart and usually heads to the door when he needs to go but will frequently stop halfway there to squat as if he can't hold it long enough to get outside. Is his bladder too little or his attention span? (I am only referring to #1. He has not done #2 in the house since the first day). Currently he and our 1 yr old mutt, Geo, are separated most of the time with short periods of time so they can get to know each other (always supervised - but then Smokey is always supervised period). Geo loves Smokey a little too much. It's a bit overwhelming for the little guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:07 AM

Itís great that he knows where the door to ďoutsideĒ is, but at this age, by the time he heads that way, itís probably too late for him to hold it. Take him out every hour, and after he eats, or wakes up from a nap, or plays hard. Essentially youíre going spend a lot of time going outside. I know itíll seem like you spend all your time heading out doors, but itíll pay off pretty fast.
Sabis mom and Genalis_mom like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Gypsy is now 10 weeks and still is having some trouble. At 7 weeks, she was a peeing machine. Eating, waking from nap, drinking, and rough playing were cause for a pee. If you can get you pup to reliably potty train under 10 weeks, consider yourself lucky. One thing that helped for me was to take Gypsy out every 15 minutes or so, repeating the words 'outside' and 'potty' the entire time. When she goes potty outside, she is praised and rewarded with a small treat. She now asks to go out most the time. There are still accidents, but they have gotten a lot less frequent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM

I am trying "potty bells" for the first time with Genali and I love love love them!

I got something similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Doorbells-Adj...oorbells&psc=1

We always go out the same door for potty time. At first, I hung them on the door knob, so that she would simply hear them every time we went out. Once she started going to the door to ask to go out, I hung them on a hook next to the door. I began to hold them to her nose and give a "GOOD" when she would nose them and then IMMEDIATELY go out through that door. After a couple days of doing that, she will now go grab the bells, take a few steps back and turn loose for them to bang into the wall. It makes quite the noise! Each time she does this she gets a "GOOD" and we IMMEDIATELY go outside. Of course, if she abuses the bells and goes out without pottying, she gets the crate for a little while when we come back in.

SHe is only 10 weeks, so she has learned this in 2 weeks. I really recommend the potty bells!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info/advice.

We have an electronic doorbell we taught our other dog to use but it's a bit high for Smokey at this point. He's growing fast and should be tall enough for it soonish. We realized when our other dog was little we wouldn't consistently hear the nonelectronic door bells. (Esp with my younger kids wanting to ring them for fun)

He consistently goes toward the door every time he needs to go so we have been scooping him up and taking him as soon as he starts heading toward the door. We always have someone with him ready to do this. (3 of the kids, myself, and my husband are able to do this so we take turns being with the puppy in the kitchen/dining table with him).

We also preempt him and take him out as soon as he wakes if he's been sleeping for a while knowing his bladder is probably over full.

I definitely know he's not going to be 100% consistent at this age. We tell him "go potty" for #1 and "do your business" for #2. Yesterday I said, in the house, that he probably needed to go potty soon to my daughter and he immediately squatted right where he was to go. Lol
Genalis_mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page