• 1 Post By KaiserAus
  • 2 Post By girardid
  • 3 Post By hmbarton
  • 1 Post By rshkr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Peeing in Crate Overnight

Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and welcome some help! We have a 5 month old German Shepherd puppy. He is doing pretty well with house training - his accidents in the house are few and far between. But, for some reason, he pees in the crate every night. I've tried making the crate smaller, so he doesn't have as much room to get away from his pee, and he didn't seem to care or mind sitting in it. I take up the water every night around 7:30 or 8:00 pm and he goes on his last trip outside around 10:00 pm and I get him up around 7:00 am. And, there have been nights where the time is much shorter, but he still pees every time and sometimes still poops. But, during the day, sometimes we won't get to go home at lunch to let him out and he can go 9 hours without using the bathroom. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or a better method - anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!!
Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Master Member

Get up and take him out. Set an alarm, if you have to.

My GSD bitch was well over a year old before she could make it all the way from an 11:30 PM bedtime to a 7:00 AM get-up time without a potty run between 4:00 and 6:00. If I slept through or ignored her fussing, I could pretty much guarantee she was going to need to be hosed off and her crate cleaned.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Master Member

Did I read that right? 10 to 7?! 10pm to 7am is waayyyyy too long for a 5 month old puppy. That's 9 hours! The general rule is for every x months of a puppy's age, a puppy can hold it for x hours. So a 2 month old can hold it for 2 hours. 3 month old, 3 hours. And so on. A 5 month old should be able to hold it for about 5 hours (plus or minus an hour). You're making your 5 month old hold it for 9 hours? Way too long!! Like LeoRose said, set your alarm for about 2am or 3. Has to be done, otherwise you'll continue to have a pup that pees in its crate. The other option is to go to bed later. Take him out at midnight and wake up an hour earlier at 6am. (You still get 6 hours of sleep. Not a lot but enough for a grownup.) It's only a month of your life to sacrifice some sleep. Puppy stage is not a breeze. You gotta put in the time and sacrifice some sleep for another few months...at least. Change your schedule/habits now or else your pup's going to get used to peeing in his crate. Then it'll be much harder to break that bad habit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbarton View Post
Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and welcome some help! We have a 5 month old German Shepherd puppy. He is doing pretty well with house training - his accidents in the house are few and far between. But, for some reason, he pees in the crate every night. I've tried making the crate smaller, so he doesn't have as much room to get away from his pee, and he didn't seem to care or mind sitting in it. I take up the water every night around 7:30 or 8:00 pm and he goes on his last trip outside around 10:00 pm and I get him up around 7:00 am. And, there have been nights where the time is much shorter, but he still pees every time and sometimes still poops. But, during the day, sometimes we won't get to go home at lunch to let him out and he can go 9 hours without using the bathroom. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or a better method - anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much!!
Holly
You are not doing anything wrong. And 10-7 is fine. You just need to reset him. So keep doing what you are doing but set an alarm for 3. Out to pee and right back in for a week, then try 4. if he makes a mess go back to 3:30.
At some point you did a jump that was to big for him and he had an accident, decided it was ok. Scrub the crate and reset, he will be fine
KaiserAus likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

I agree with Sabis Mom - 10 - 7 is fine for a 5 month old puppy... but you'll need to go back to basics for a little bit. Make sure you get a good enzyme cleaner and give the crate a good clean so it doesn't smell any more.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:13 PM

it depends on the dog. Some can hold it sooner and for longer than others. If the crate is small and he is still doing it he is simply in there for too long with out a break. Give him a potty break in the middle and slowly stretch the length of time until you eliminate the break.
tc68 and KaiserAus like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 PM

At 5 months I was waking up in the middle of night (3am - 5am) to go potty.

She's 7 months now and she doesn't need that anymore.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank y'all so much! I tried getting up at 3:00 am to let him out last night and it went great! No scrubbing the crate this morning! Woohoo!
LeoRose, Sabis mom and KaiserAus like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM

or instead of waking up at 3am, go at 12 then at 6am. i do that on both my gsd's when they were 8 weeks old.
dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page