Puppy pulls on leash when he sees other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Puppy pulls on leash when he sees other dogs

So I have an 9 month old ddr german shepherd. We take private classes and now group classes. The problem is whenever he sees another dog he lunges towards them and barks. He doesn't do this in an aggressive way but wants to play. He will also do this when on walks. We distract him with treats but there is only so much that works before he does not care about the treats. Any tips/advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

You do this with a real puppy, up to 16 weeks old. Tome is up for treats. he needs a no-nonsense approach. I think a prong collar and a good trainer will be a good idea.
Visit Leerburg | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 935 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 AM
Master Member

My dog does the same at 14 months. We are sometimes what I feel like slow learning things. Right now say I'm at a park I still keep a large amount of distance. If my dog zeros in before I can distract him from even noticing the other dog but he has not pulled barked lunge. I turn the opposite way with a heel command, he does where a prong. If he reacts barks pulls I body block while getting a sit. The sit is coming much faster. At the sametime we have been working sit/release.The amount of time i am spending moving side to side this way and that is getting shorter. Once the dog gives me eye contact I mark. Heel command/reward we go. I don't get a lot of opportunities to work on this. I have used it with people it has gone much faster. He maintained a perfect heel, had we been any closer it would have been weird to a family playing kick ball which is his favorite toy and game. In the past it would be near as bad as another dog...did I mention he appears to love kids too....triple whammy. We were on pavement had it been grass all would have been lost LOL

I allow zero on leash meets with dogs period. I don't do dog parks. My dog loves other dogs, that's my problem. I'd love to be able to walk past a dog or talk to someone else with a dog and have a well behaved dog sitting next to me. I don't doubt we will get there it's a matter of time.

This is the what we have progressed to. Part of this is working towards having the dog calm in many environments away from home and learning how to behave to enjoy that environment.

I often feel like I have to get this done now. Then he shows me what a great dog he is and I remember to take my time after some arm twisting. My post probably doesn't apply to many I've never had a dog before. Series of peaks and valleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 AM

You might want to find a balanced trainer to teach you how to use a prong collar properly, and your dog will work with you. Treats and toys are just distracting him and only a bandaid, but not teaching the dog what he isn't supposed to do.

A lot of dogs do need to learn both what he is supposed to do (positive, treats, toys, praise) AND what he is not allowed to do. It's just a much clearer message for the dog.

Katsuki vom Quellwasser - Pride - 10/1/17

Last edited by fionapup; 04-09-2018 at 02:41 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Elite Member

I prefer a more counter intuitive unpopular method, although when you think about it it does make sense. I start off by clicker training the dog, load the clicker and practice watch me in the house. Once the dog has learned to look at me, click, treat, we go outside to distractions. As soon as we see another dog I click and treat. It works better and differently than just giving a treat because it interrupts the dogs thought pattern (just like a short prong correction might). It is now second nature to the dog to look to you after the click for a treat, so instead of looking at the other dog your dog will turn to look at you. I feel it also teaches the dog that other dogs are not a threat, or a party for them, they can look and not have to react. It gives them an option. My dog was pretty reactive around 6 months I'd say and we tried a couple methods for a while... this method nixed the behavior for us within a day and he has been perfect since. It's all about interrupting that train of thought and behavioral pattern before it occurs.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 04-09-2018 at 08:04 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

If you are distracting him with treats when he lunges you are rewarding him for lunging. ^ Gandalf ^ is rewarding before the unwanted behavior happens for paying attention to the handler not the other dog.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
If you are distracting him with treats when he lunges you are rewarding him for lunging. ^ Gandalf ^ is rewarding before the unwanted behavior happens for paying attention to the handler not the other dog.
Exactly! Thank you NP for explaining that better, I couldn't find the right words.
germanshepherdlife likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:14 AM

This behavior was the single most urgent matter I took my pup to a private K9/PPD trainer who breeds working shepherds. He was unmanageable during group classes with the local GSD Club because he felt it was his God-given right to play with the other dogs. "Trainers" at group had nothing to offer me beyond leash exercises and heading the opposite direction. Food held no interest for him when presented with other dogs, and he remains completely fearless and stoic, so overriding adolescent urges was just not happening. ONE session with the K9 trainer and he was over it and ignoring other dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish View Post
This behavior was the single most urgent matter I took my pup to a private K9/PPD trainer who breeds working shepherds. He was unmanageable during group classes with the local GSD Club because he felt it was his God-given right to play with the other dogs. "Trainers" at group had nothing to offer me beyond leash exercises and heading the opposite direction. Food held no interest for him when presented with other dogs, and he remains completely fearless and stoic, so overriding adolescent urges was just not happening. ONE session with the K9 trainer and he was over it and ignoring other dogs.
What did the K9 trainer do? Did you watch?

SQUIRREL!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 PM

I do not leave my pup alone for training. Training is about learning to communicate with your dog and is as much about being trained yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page