Stay - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GandalfTheShepherd
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Stay

Hi guys, any tips for teaching stay? We were getting somewhere with it but it’s as if lunas brain has just shut it out.

Also how do you deal with a pup that has separation anxiety from you? It’s just me she has it with and when I leave to go to uni or nip out even if she’s with my dad or sister she just cries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbx33 View Post
Hi guys, any tips for teaching stay? We were getting somewhere with it but it’s as if lunas brain has just shut it out.

Also how do you deal with a pup that has separation anxiety from you? It’s just me she has it with and when I leave to go to uni or nip out even if she’s with my dad or sister she just cries.
How old is your puppy? I doubt she has true separation anxiety, all pups cry when left alone because this is a natural instinct. They miss their mom and siblings. To teach stay start slowly and be very patient. Use treats and back up just a little and reward, continue to slowly back up more and reward. If she breaks the stay then you went to far and go back to your previous distance. Remember to only use commands if you are able to follow through with them.
car2ner likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:14 AM

Keep practices short and sweet. "Mark" the behavior you want with a word like "yes" or click from a clicker. Reward with something yummy. And I use one command for a "stay until I tell you to do otherwise" than I do for a "hold on for a moment while I fix your collar" or "you can't go through this door with me". For moments when they can release themselves I use "wait". Of course at a very young age they won't really understand either concept but with patience and lots of repetition they figure it out.

these are my dogs learning the word "Pillow" which is their place command.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbx33 View Post

How old is your puppy? I doubt she has true separation anxiety, all pups cry when left alone because this is a natural instinct. They miss their mom and siblings. To teach stay start slowly and be very patient. Use treats and back up just a little and reward, continue to slowly back up more and reward. If she breaks the stay then you went to far and go back to your previous distance. Remember to only use commands if you are able to follow through with them.
She’s four months old, got her at exactly eight weeks. It’s just she cries and cries when I’m not there even though she isn’t alone. And thank you
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Keep practices short and sweet. "Mark" the behavior you want with a word like "yes" or click from a clicker. Reward with something yummy. And I use one command for a "stay until I tell you to do otherwise" than I do for a "hold on for a moment while I fix your collar" or "you can't go through this door with me". For moments when they can release themselves I use "wait". Of course at a very young age they won't really understand either concept but with patience and lots of repetition they figure it out.

these are my dogs learning the word "Pillow" which is their place command.
Thank you I’ll keep that in mind
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Knighted Member

I have had decent luck pairing a hand signal with the word "wait." For some reason, the hand signal seems to convey what I want more so than the word at first. I hold my hand up in front of them, palm facing them, really just like you would tell a person to wait. If they do it just for a few seconds at first, then I say "good boy!" or something like it so that they know they got it right, and then reward them with something yummy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM

They will always notice body language before verbal, so if you want to train words, use the word before the gesture. They learn hand signs and body language so well that it is not unusual for them to really not know the verbal cues at all.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
They will always notice body language before verbal, so if you want to train words, use the word before the gesture. They learn hand signs and body language so well that it is not unusual for them to really not know the verbal cues at all.
Hey Car2ner, I actually have been doing both at the same time. Do you still think it would be better to do the verbal first and then the hand signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page