Separation Anxiety BAD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By GandalfTheShepherd
  • 1 Post By GypsyGhost
  • 1 Post By Natasha0b

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Separation Anxiety BAD

So at first my 8 week puppy loved his crate...He willingly went in and he seemed to sleep...Now he's turned a complete 360.

He is not making it through the night...He wakes up 3+ times every night and around 5:30 he wakes up and does not go back to sleep...
Last night he woke up at 11, I let him pee and put him back in. Then at 1:30, i thought theres no way he has to pee bc i just took him out, and of course he peed in his crate...So i take him out, put him outside and clean his crate. He goes back in. Then continues to wake up again at 3:30 and again at 5:30. After i let him out at 5:30 and put him back in he whines and howls and barks non stop...I let him continue on for over an hour and a half this morning.

I really need to figure out how to get a hold on this.

I also just left him at home for the first time and I'm personally freaking out because i know he's going to back and howl for the next hour and a half until I'm home. Its also super hard because he doesn't settle down at all during the day. Idk what to do to entertain him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

When you let him out pee at 11 did you actually go outside with him and watch him pee? Or were you just assuming he went on his own?
It sounds like a little separation here might be a good thing, sounds like you never leave him on his own.. that may lead to actual separation anxiety. Your puppy does not have separation anxiety I would venture, this is pretty standard puppy behavior. I don't think a puppy can actually bark "nonstop" for an hour and a half, he has to breathe and take little breaths at some points... when he is quiet even for a milisecond reward the quiet behavior. Move the crate closer to your bed and sleep with your hand on the crate and be where he can see you. He was taken from his mom and his siblings, all he ever knew... he just misses them.
[email protected] likes this.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 04-04-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
When you let him out pee at 11 did you actually go outside with him and watch him pee? Or were you just assuming he went on his own?
It sounds like a little separation here might be a good thing, sounds like you never leave him on his own.. that may lead to actual separation anxiety. Your puppy does not have separation anxiety I would venture, this is pretty standard puppy behavior. I don't think a puppy can actually bark "nonstop" for an hour and a half, he has to breathe and take little breaths at some points... when he is quiet even for a milisecond reward the quiet behavior. Move the crate closer to your bed and sleep with your hand on the crate and be where he can see you. He was taken from his mom and his siblings, all he ever knew... he just misses them.
Yes i did actually see him pee.

Of course he took breathes in-between but it was pretty stead howling and barking. The crate is right beside my bed and he can see me. Its within reaching distance so maybe I can try putting my hand on it.

What would you do to reward him for being quiet? Treats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Puppies have tiny bladders and will need to pee often. As they get bigger, the duration that they can "hold it" will increase but get used to monitoring the time and getting the pup out for bathroom breaks. They have to go out about every 30-60 minutes as a default. They have to go out immediately after eating, waking up from a nap, or after 15 minutes of play.

You must, whenever possible, go out with him and watch him pee/poop. Say something like "hurry up" as you wait. Say it as he eliminates. Then after he goes, it's important to praise like crazy (for housetraining). Being outside with you gives you peace of ind that yes, he did go and didn't just chase leaves the whole time.

Tire him with short training sessions ( a minute or so, several times a day) and gentle play. Take him out after play. Take him out after he wakes up. When in doubt, take him out.

I tried filling a sock with rice, tying it off and putting it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, then I put this in the crate. It was like a warm body for the pup to lay against and I thought it would help him sleep. It did the trick once or twice but then I've come to learn that my guy tends to prefer cool sleeping conditions. We had to take the blanket and pad out of his (plastic) crate. Then he was more comfortable.

You will have to get used to the pup crying and getting used to amusing himself when alone. Most recommend a puppy-sized Kong toy stuffed with treats or frozen puppy food. If the whining and howling bothers you, move the crate where you can't hear him as much. You will still have to get up every few hours to take him out. NO way around that. If you don't, house training will take a lot longer and involve more heartache and aggravation.

Hang in there!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Are you taking up the water at a reasonable time at night? If not I would start. Make sure he drinks plenty during the day, but donít allow water after a certain time at night (I do 8pm for young puppies) until he can hold his bladder a bit better. Also, he probably wakes up so early due to hunger. Maybe try giving him some food just before bed. Not a whole meal, but enough to kind of tide him over. It might prolong your wake up time a bit.
[email protected] likes this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Are you taking up the water at a reasonable time at night? If not I would start. Make sure he drinks plenty during the day, but donít allow water after a certain time at night (I do 8pm for young puppies) until he can hold his bladder a bit better. Also, he probably wakes up so early due to hunger. Maybe try giving him some food just before bed. Not a whole meal, but enough to kind of tide him over. It might prolong your wake up time a bit.
Yes i have been taking out his water around 7:30! But i'll try to give him a little snack.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha0b View Post
Yes i did actually see him pee.

Of course he took breathes in-between but it was pretty stead howling and barking. The crate is right beside my bed and he can see me. Its within reaching distance so maybe I can try putting my hand on it.

What would you do to reward him for being quiet? Treats?

Put all of his meals, that is his regular kibble in a treat pouch and use that as treats. Use it to reward quiet behavior and fill kongs up with it. You may have to sleep a night or two on the floor next to his crate, I had to do that with Gandalf the first night. Feed any bowl meals in the crate. I've heard spray cheese or peanut butter on crate walls is fun too.

SQUIRREL!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Put all of his meals, that is his regular kibble in a treat pouch and use that as treats. Use it to reward quiet behavior and fill kongs up with it. You may have to sleep a night or two on the floor next to his crate, I had to do that with Gandalf the first night. Feed any bowl meals in the crate. I've heard spray cheese or peanut butter on crate walls is fun too.
Yes! i want to try that! only issue is he was sick so he's on chicken and rice at the moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page