Working with 4 month old to stay. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Femfa
  • 3 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Working with 4 month old to stay.

Does any one have any tips on getting ur puppy to stay? We seem to be struggling with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:21 PM

I don't teach stay. I teach my puppy she is to remain in the position I leave her in until I release her. What you are desiring to teach is called duration. I put my puppy in a down and walk a few feet away, come back and give her a reward, and continue doing this over sessions/days/weeks until I can go out of her sight or a long ways away and she knows that a reward is coming at some point. This builds duration and ultimately you get a "stay" as long as you want until you release.

At 4 months old, I can put her in a down in my living room and walk down the hall out of sight and come back to her in the down. This will keep building from there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:09 PM
Master Member

I think what we forget is that both distance and duration are important to consider. How long is your pup able to stay in a position without you moving away? Until your pup is able to maintain the position without moving while you are in front, I wouldn't even bother walking away. I would have my pup stay in a sit, down, stand, etc. with me in front and reward intermittently over time until I could have my dog in that position for let's say 30 seconds (30 seconds is quite a long time for a 4 month old pup!). Once your pup can do that consistently, THEN I would introduce distance. A couple of steps back for a few seconds to start, then slowly increase the time.

Always work on duration, then introduce distance. When you do both at the same time, it can set you both up for failure.
tim_s_adams and JBjunior like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Right now I get a couple seconds and then he cones to me. I would like to be able to throw the toy and have her wait till I say get it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

Too much too soon. Distance, duration, distraction - build on each one separately. Right now you’re adding distraction and you don’t even have duration. If your puppy comes to YOU after 4 seconds, that means you return to HER (and reward) after 2 seconds.... don’t let her be wrong.

In the instance of having her hold position until you throw the ball (which is a completely difference exercise) - stay next to her, hold her collar, roll the ball away... if she starts pulling say “wait” and the split second that she settles, say “get it” and release her collar... later you can progress to just and hand on her neck and then nothing.

I agree with the above poster that sit or down should imply a stay already... however I teach stay so that it differs from wait (in the dogs mind as far as what comes next). Stay (long term) means stay put until I return to you... wait (short term) means wait until I release you. Example - sit, stay, I walk away for a period, I return, I release. VS. sit, wait, I walk away, and I recall you to me (or release you to eat or exit the car, or whatever).
Femfa, r3tro23 and JBjunior like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 03-31-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

...all of that said, I’d never torture myself in trying to teach a four month old to stay, lol
Femfa likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I guess that is alot to ask to stay when I throw a toy. That s like me waiting if someone threw an ice cream cone. Not going to happen. Lol. Do u feel I'm to early to teach the stay or wait command at 4 month?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Pups vary, as well as handler skill. Generally speaking, no, it’s not too soon to reach anything - however it needs to be at the appropriate level with appropriate expectations.... keeping in mind that with puppies it’s often two steps forward and one step back (or however that saying goes). A lot of this will have to be reintroduced and proofed during the teen years, but at least you’ll have a good foundation.

So often you hear “my puppy is so smart, they know xx amount of commands at just 10 weeks old” only to later see “help! My 7 month old won’t listen to me!”

I have a dog trainer friend that says - unless your dog will comply 100% of the time off leash in the middle of Times Square... you’ve still got work you can be doing.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for ur responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page