crate time out - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom
  • 1 Post By desertsage01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

crate time out

I mostly crate my pup when she has her meals or when we need to leave for errands or when she's real tired. We have plenty of play time during the day. Usually between 7:30PM and 9:00PM she's a whirlwind!!! We've been getting a lot of rain off and on, when it's nice out, we can get her out in the yard and really play but when it's pouring out, playtime is inside and sometimes I just can't wear her out.
I read an post here about over stimulating also. So, this evening I played with her for about an hour and then I had to have dinner and I was tired. So I crated her. She fussed for about 5 min and then went to sleep.
Is it ok to crate for ME to have some down/quiet time?
When the weather is so bad outside, she's like a kid that is kept indoors on rainy days. Some days she had more energy and some days she is lazy and sleeps more. 9 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Yes, absolutely. Just think of it as a little break, it doesn't have to be punishment, per se. Puppies are a lot of work and take a lot of time to supervise properly. Any time you're not able to do that, it's best to give her a crate break. We all have things we need to get done. And the fact that she only fussed for a short while and then took a nap, shows she was clearly fine and probably ready for a break too.
dogma13 likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Crowned Member

My puppy is almost 5 months old. She is in her excersie pen or crate when not being supervised. I also have two older dogs, one who is ill who I need to ensure has breaks from the puppy as well..lol.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM

My adult dogs just have to accept that sometimes I am just not going to play. It usually happens when I've been doing a lot of work around the house and they've been napping. When I am ready for a nap they want round two of walks and games. sigh. I muster up the energy to play a bit sometimes and sometimes they just have to sigh and be bored for a little while.

With very young pups, naps are important, just like for human toddlers.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

Definitely ok. Like most young things, they do not realize when they need a nap and sometimes get MORE hyper when tired. At your pups age I do eat, relieve, play, crate on schedule. Most pups your pups age need a LOT of sleep. How old is she now? 9 10 weeks or so?

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

My breeder crates them separately at random times, which I continue. It also provides me with time to regain sanity and become human again. And I don't feel guilty. They have a very good life and I do to as a result. Dogs are flexible and mold into our lives easily if you are confident about it but of course being reasonable as well.
Regarding the rain; I love to take them out when it is pouring. There is a serenity about that weather. But I live in the NW And a plus is that during bad weather on the forest trails you only come across the die hards who train their dogs, esp. during the week days.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 03-21-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Definitely ok. Like most young things, they do not realize when they need a nap and sometimes get MORE hyper when tired. At your pups age I do eat, relieve, play, crate on schedule. Most pups your pups age need a LOT of sleep. How old is she now? 9 10 weeks or so?
yes, 9 weeks old. She will fuss in her crate off and on but she will fall asleep. Last night I was at my wits end I will admit. She reminded me of a kid that is cranky tired and wired at the same time. She just wanted to bite on me, and she was restless. Didn't need to potty. So I just crated her up. She was in a real odd mood. Like a toddler.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page