need advice on bitey GSD puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

need advice on bitey GSD puppy

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on curbing the biting on my 4 month old GSD.

I have raised 4 Scottish Terriers throughout my life.
I have fostered dogs. (2 Pitbulls)
Never really ran into this issue.

I figure that it is teething. Keep plenty of bully sticks and toys around.
He is also in puppy classes.

Max never bites me, it is just my wife. He is driving my wife nuts. Any thoughts?
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Ive got a 4-1/2 month old in the same phase... He wont bite at me anymore, but he does with everybody else.. I have never let him bite by hands or anything else that wasn't his toys.. But some of my friends have made it a game to rub his face and then avoid him snapping at their hands.. Its a playful game but leads to him wanting to always play that game.. I have had to ask people to PLEASE quit playing those type games with him.. He is getting to the point now that he needs to quit wanting to put his mouth on everyone.. I know i wasn't any help to your problem, but just wanted to say you are not alone.. Haha
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM

There are tons of previous posts regarding this. It's a well known GSD puppy phase called landsharking. Type landshark into the search box on the upper right and you will find a bunch of great advice!

It does pass!! Think mine got significantly better around 5.5 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:29 PM

OMG... 2.5 months to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxsMom View Post
There are tons of previous posts regarding this. It's a well known GSD puppy phase called landsharking. Type landshark into the search box on the upper right and you will find a bunch of great advice!

It does pass!! Think mine got significantly better around 5.5 months.
Boon is 3 months old and bites at me maybe 50% less than he does to my husband. Hubby just says "ow!" and repeats Boon's name a lot between unheeded pleas to "quit it" and "calm down". I think I must be starting to taste annoyed and crabby, since the brunt of what I get after a month of discouraging this puppy is gentle-ish bites at my feet in the morning and bites at my shoes/pants on some walks.

Then there is always the biting at our hands when we want to snap a leash on, or put a harness on. Biting at sleeves when I thought I found 10 quiet minutes to work on the laptop. Boon is always interested in trying new things to bite.

The best thing that works for us is a long walk to really tire him out. We can really only do this on weekends but that gives us a pup who is mainly interested in hanging out quietly at home and/or sleeping.

Two and a half months to go, huh?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Boon is 3 months old and bites at me maybe 50% less than he does to my husband. Hubby just says "ow!" and repeats Boon's name a lot between unheeded pleas to "quit it" and "calm down". I think I must be starting to taste annoyed and crabby, since the brunt of what I get after a month of discouraging this puppy is gentle-ish bites at my feet in the morning and bites at my shoes/pants on some walks.

Then there is always the biting at our hands when we want to snap a leash on, or put a harness on. Biting at sleeves when I thought I found 10 quiet minutes to work on the laptop. Boon is always interested in trying new things to bite.

The best thing that works for us is a long walk to really tire him out. We can really only do this on weekends but that gives us a pup who is mainly interested in hanging out quietly at home and/or sleeping.

Two and a half months to go, huh?
Yep lol. Jax got significantly better after he was done teething, but then you get into that bratty "make me" phase where they think they don't have to listen. Somehow through it all though, we ended up each day saying how lucky we are to have such an awesome dog! He is SUCH a good boy now at 8 months.....though that took a lot of training time and when he gets in a bratty mood I will still put his prong on him around the house with a 2" leash so that I can give a correction if need be.

And just when I am patting myself on the back for how awesome he is doing.....I take him to Petsmart to get his nails trimmed and he gets us kicked out because he wont stop barking at every dog in the place So tomorrow morning we are off to the trainers to start working on distraction training. There is ALWAYS a new challenge but that is a big part of what makes it fun!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 PM

Yes this sounds just like Xena. She was so bitey until about 5-6 months. It lasted about 2 weeks maybe 3 and now she's in the brat stage. She's more bitey when I take her off her tie-out for some reason. I don't know first puppy in years that I've really interacted with.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Master Member

I'm so glad there are threads like these. Helps me realize that I'm not the only one and that there is hope. Today my pup is 9 weeks old. Picked him up last Saturday. The biting has left my hands with small minor bruises and scars and scratches. He loves attacking my feet, toes, and ankles when my socks come off. He's grabbing everything he can. It's a nightmare to take him outside because literally every 10 seconds (and I'm not exaggerating) he's grabbing pebbles, twigs, mulch, grass, trash, etc. I'm constantly prying his mouth open to get things out. He tries to bite and chew on concrete, asphalt, flagstones, light poles, etc. I'm watching him like a hawk. It's tiring. After a week, it's gotten slightly better. My previous GSD wasn't this bad at all. One thing, I'm finding is many times (not all the time) when he bites me he wants something like he wants to go out or he's really hungry. I tried an old 12 year old bottle of bitter apple spray that worked wonders on the previous GSD. This one...it doesn't work. Maybe because the apple spray is too old and lost its efficacy. Or maybe the pup likes the taste as some dogs do. I tried a water bottle spray that also worked on the other dog. Not this one...he likes the face washes. Fun times.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Yup, my pups mouth is always open except for when she's asleep. I have tried diverting her onto a toy and that only works part of them. She started biting harder so it was time to mean business with her. I say a sharp, NO BITE. And she will stop. Her attention span is around 5 seconds So I just continue to tell her NO. It seems to be working. It's working with the cats as well. She's learning what NO means. She plays with one of the cats but sometimes the cat doesn't want to be bothered and she insists so then I have to intervene. She will lay down and just look or pout.
But in any case, my pup is the same way. bite, bite, bite, chew, chew, chew. She doesn't like the nylabone I bought her and it was not cheap!
She likes the bully stick for a while. We want to try some beef bones.
tc68 likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I am feeling much better after reading all of the posts.
Max is sweet with me. Just the occasion bite, when he jumps up on the bed to watch TV... when my wife and I are ready to go to bed. He will try to nip at my hand, I make a yipe! sound and he stops.

For biting, my wife is now keep Max's toys near by, and when he starts to get bitey, we are giving him a toy.
If he gets really bad, we both ignore him. He eventually stops.
My wife was also happy to hear that we are not alone in this, and that other GSD parents have experienced the same.

But yea, he is going through the brat stage.

In regards to driving in the car, he is getting better has he gets older. Not quite as scared.
I am also starting to walk him, since he had all of his shots.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page