New puppy vs old dog and cat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By Craig Caughlin
  • 1 Post By KaiserAus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

New puppy vs old dog and cat

As many of you have read, I am preparing to bring home my puppy in about a month. I have purchased everything under the sun. My husband has banned me from Chewy.com AND Amazon.com. sigh....

Anyway, I am planning out the puppy's "spot" for bedtime and a "play area" for when we are away at work. I have arranged from someone to come take Genali out to potty and play for a bit in the middle of the day. Other than that she will stay in a large puppy playpen when we are not home.

But I also have two other critters to consider. Hector, my hubby's jack russel and Turtle, my son's strange cat are both 17 years old. I am not too worried about puppy and Hector. Hector DESPISES being inside, and so spend most of his time outdoors. When he comes in, he wants to straight to his crate and go to sleep. Honestly, I don't expect Hector to live much longer, so his comfort is going to be carefully guarded. Even at his old age, he likes other dogs, and will enjoy being able to "chat" with a puppy so long as puppy is controlled. He has never been an only dog until recently. Hector is an extremely patient dog, especially considering his age. I am glad that my pup will have at least a little while to be around him.

The cat, however, is going to live forever. She still can see and hear, but has one bad knee. Due to her age, she is not a candidate for surgery on this knee (hind leg). But she can still jump (rather ungracefully though) and will still get a wild red hair up her bum that gives her the zoomies at 3 am. She literally has no idea that she is old enough to remember the dinosaurs. Turtle is well accustomed to dogs, and will likely quickly train Genali with a solid thump on the nose (It is a well known fact in our home that Turtle does NOT like butt sniffs or lizards).

My biggest concern is how to keep Genali out of the cat food without forcing Turtle to jump up to her food? Baby gates are an obvious choice, but I am hoping to find a solution that is less of a pain to the people in the house, and one that won't keep Genali from being able to follow me into a certain area. As for old man Hector, I am confident in my ability to manage old mandog and puppy, but would welcome any experiences or suggestions that you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Master Member

There are pet gates that have cat doors in them, but this will also allow a young puppy to go through as well. You bet will be to manage until your puppy is too big to fit through the cat door. If a gate is not an option then put the cat on a feeding schedule.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Extra...70_&dpSrc=srch
Genalis_mom likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM

We are going thru all that right now. Puppy and 3 house cats. No other dogs. Cats have smacked puppy on the nose but that just makes the puppy want to play MORE. So we need to really watch them and making puppy understand that she needs to ignore the cats. NO chasing! The cats are ok if puppy sniffs them but NO pawing or getting too excited. Very hard for a puppy.
She was relentless this morning and got a spank on her butt and that stopped it.
If she's over the top, I will put her outside or crate time. I take her for daily walks if it's not pouring rain and that will tire her out.
As far as cat food goes, our cats are on a timed feeding and always have been - they are not free fed. So puppy eats in her crate when cats get fed.
That would be a hard one if cat is free fed and can't get up high to eat.
So I agree with the other poster, either gates with a cat door or put on a schedule. The schedule might be hard with a 17 year old cat used to free feed. I'm sure pup will eat the cat food if he/she finds it
It's been real hard with pup and cats - I won't lie. Our cats have been around dogs before but the dogs were old and didn't bother them. Puppies are so full of energy. It might be easier on us if we had another dog but we are a one dog household and don't want 2. Keep us all posted when you get your pup and how it goes with cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genalis_mom View Post
As many of you have read, I am preparing to bring home my puppy in about a month. I have purchased everything under the sun. My husband has banned me from Chewy.com AND Amazon.com. sigh...

Have you considered purchasing pet insurance?

Craig
Evohog likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Caughlin View Post
Have you considered purchasing pet insurance?

Craig
I am looking at different options. Do you have a recommendation?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Elite Member

Can you install a cat door somewhere--into the basement, garage, spare room? We have installed a cat door in the hallway door that leads to the garage (which we don't use for the cars). We have the cat food, cat tree, and the litter box out there. They make cat doors pretty small. If you puppy can fit through one, he won't for long.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

I saw something (I can't remember the name now) on amazon I think which is a door latch.... it keeps a door ajar set at a specific distance so that it won't open or close... its easy to unclip for a human to walk through and then latch again so cat can fit through but dog can't.

Do you have a room that has two entrances? Our bedroom/ensuite has two doors... both lead out into the main hallway, I have a baby gate on one of them for the cats to access the room and the other door is kept closed at all times. It took a while to train the children to always shut the door, and I'm still struggling with the husband on that front but it works really well. You also get baby gates that are just wooden bars that the cat could walk through but the dog wouldn't fit.
Genalis_mom likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
I saw something (I can't remember the name now) on amazon I think which is a door latch.... it keeps a door ajar set at a specific distance so that it won't open or close... its easy to unclip for a human to walk through and then latch again so cat can fit through but dog can't.

Do you have a room that has two entrances? Our bedroom/ensuite has two doors... both lead out into the main hallway, I have a baby gate on one of them for the cats to access the room and the other door is kept closed at all times. It took a while to train the children to always shut the door, and I'm still struggling with the husband on that front but it works really well. You also get baby gates that are just wooden bars that the cat could walk through but the dog wouldn't fit.
No, I don't have a room with two entrances, but your post made me think about using one of these latches on the bathroom. This would also keep Genali from feasting on the kitty crunchies in the litter box!

I can't do the cat door. Hate to sound harsh, but she is old and I don't intend to have another cat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genalis_mom View Post
I am looking at different options. Do you have a recommendation?

I currently have PetPlan, but they have become increasingly picky about claims and their prices have increased dramatically. After doing much research, I will go with Figo for my next dog. I think they're the company to beat.

https://figopetinsurance.com/pet-insurance-comparison

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page