cries in car - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Question cries in car

Anyone ever have a puppy that screams and cries in the car? I have one. Once the car stops like at a gas station or grocery store, she's quiet and calm. Car moves and the screaming starts. I wonder if she'll out grow this? Anything special we can do?
She doesn't get car sick as in throwing up or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

Keep on driving and don't pay attention. Do not use ear plugs though for safety reasons. Since she is not car sick, maybe give her a bully stick as distraction? How old is she?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Keep on driving and don't pay attention. Do not use ear plugs though for safety reasons. Since she is not car sick, maybe give her a bully stick as distraction? How old is she?
She will be 8 weeks on the 14th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsage01 View Post
She will be 8 weeks on the 14th
Wow, she is young! She may feel a little overwhelmed at seeing the world whiz by since she is so young and without her mama. Has she had all her shots? I won't take pups out in public until they are up on their vaccinations.

If you must have her in the car, maybe giving her a box to sit in will help her feel less exposed and overwhelmed.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genalis_mom View Post
Wow, she is young! She may feel a little overwhelmed at seeing the world whiz by since she is so young and without her mama. Has she had all her shots? I won't take pups out in public until they are up on their vaccinations.

If you must have her in the car, maybe giving her a box to sit in will help her feel less exposed and overwhelmed.
She's only had one vaccine. I'm not taking her out of the car any place since she's only had one. She'll get her second one at the end of this month. We have just been taking her for short ones like to the grocery store - a couple of miles. One of us stays in the car with her
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

These forst vaccines in these young pups don't do anything. Most likely they have killed their mother's antibodies as long as the pups were nursing. Anyways, since she is so very young I would put the crate close to the driver's seat so she doesn't feel lonely. Discard my earlier ideas as I didn't have a clue how old she was. Right now you are establishing trust so take it easy with her. With these wicked smart pups it is easy to forget how young they actually are. I have to remind myself this quite often. Yesterday he saw a news anchor's full face on TV and jumped backwards and barking. Normally I would have stressed about it but instead I remained calm, told him, "it's OK" petted him and he was fine.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

at what age do you guys see the young pups start becoming more confident and curious about things like new people? We had my daughter and her family over today and the pup was not having it. They were quiet around her, not rowdy. But the pup just stayed at my feet and hid. We didn't force her so we just sat and talked and let her decide if she wanted to be part of anything but she just went to sleep.
It's just been so long since we've had a pup (15 years) that I have forgotten the stages and what they were like around 8 weeks old.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsage01 View Post
at what age do you guys see the young pups start becoming more confident and curious about things like new people? We had my daughter and her family over today and the pup was not having it. They were quiet around her, not rowdy. But the pup just stayed at my feet and hid. We didn't force her so we just sat and talked and let her decide if she wanted to be part of anything but she just went to sleep.
It's just been so long since we've had a pup (15 years) that I have forgotten the stages and what they were like around 8 weeks old.
They should be curious and confident even at 8 weeks old. Hiding under your feet would worry me.
IllinoisNative and wolfy dog like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
They should be curious and confident even at 8 weeks old. Hiding under your feet would worry me.
well, she hides. Wants nothing to do with strangers
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

none of the pups out of this litter were socialized when with littermates. I found this out after the fact. I had a third party involved in getting this pup so I was out of the loop and wasn't brought up to speed on how they were raised. Now I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm sure it does. Maybe it's genetics?? I really don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page