Tip: train them asap - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tip: train them asap

I am truly amazed at the speed of learning of these young pups. Griff is only 10 weeks old and with me since Saturday. I am working with him throughout the day. It basically is a daytime job but I have committed to this for the next few weeks; a luxury I know. Deja also needs her exercise and fun with me so when pup is sleeping in his crate, it is her turn. Today I took him to an outdoor cafe; rug, bully stick, clicker and his kibble for treats; ohs and ahs from people galore and he handled it very well. 3 full days of frequent short sessions are already paying off. He also learned to lie down when I am in the kitchen since food magically drops from the sky when he lies down. No accidents yet either since coming home here and quiet throughout the night because he is busy learning in the day about daily life situations and behavior but is allowed a few play sessions with Deja.
I wonder if he is so easy to house train because he was raised outside and has never learned that peeing and pooping in house was even an option?
I am writing this as an illustration how important it is to train them so quickly before they weigh 80 pounds and while their brains are sponges. Bonus: Deja takes care of the landshark behavior!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

I find a balance between mild early training and letting them be a dog works best. I did a lot of early training with my 2 yr old and regretted it later. My next one will get maybe 5 minutes a day of early training, spread out a minute or so at a time, but a lot of off leash running around.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I find a balance between mild early training and letting them be a dog works best. I did a lot of early training with my 2 yr old and regretted it later. My next one will get maybe 5 minutes a day of early training, spread out a minute or so at a time, but a lot of off leash running around.
I agree. He surely doesn't lack time of just fun. I am not drilling him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

Does Deja hang out with him most of the day or do you keep him separate? Always wonder how people do it with two dogs lol. I have to agree they learn so much quicker when they're young!! We taught Gandalf when we brought him home to wait at the door before going out. Love it now when I open the garage door and put on my boots he waits for me to finish up and give him the okay.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:22 PM

It's good to hear that you're relaxing and enjoying this puppy.He's benefiting from all of your successes and mistakes over the years.Deja sounds like a great help also
I never made a big deal out of keeping new puppies separate either.I suppose it would be different if puppy became too dependent on the older dog...but never had that happen.Enjoy!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I like using an older dog to train a puppy.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I am truly amazed at the speed of learning of these young pups. Griff is only 10 weeks old and with me since Saturday. I am working with him throughout the day. It basically is a daytime job but I have committed to this for the next few weeks; a luxury I know. Deja also needs her exercise and fun with me so when pup is sleeping in his crate, it is her turn. Today I took him to an outdoor cafe; rug, bully stick, clicker and his kibble for treats; ohs and ahs from people galore and he handled it very well. 3 full days of frequent short sessions are already paying off. He also learned to lie down when I am in the kitchen since food magically drops from the sky when he lies down. No accidents yet either since coming home here and quiet throughout the night because he is busy learning in the day about daily life situations and behavior but is allowed a few play sessions with Deja.
I wonder if he is so easy to house train because he was raised outside and has never learned that peeing and pooping in house was even an option?
I am writing this as an illustration how important it is to train them so quickly before they weigh 80 pounds and while their brains are sponges. Bonus: Deja takes care of the landshark behavior!!
I think you might be onto something here. Inga was raised outside too. She only peed once in the house twice and that was it. Of course we managed her eat, rest and crate time like clockwork.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Elite Member

" I wonder if he is so easy to house train because he was raised outside and has never learned that peeing and pooping in house was even an option?"

I'm offering up more anecdotal evidence to your thoughts. My boy was also raised outside. Neither dh or I can recall any accidents in the house. My son just adopted a rescue pup. He was raised in a foster home where there were other dogs and a doggy dog to go in and out at will. My son does not have a doggy door but it took less than a week for the pup to train my son to let him out when he sat at the door.

Griff sound like a really fun pup.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I envy you having Deja for the landsharking!
wolfy dog likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Does Deja hang out with him most of the day or do you keep him separate? Always wonder how people do it with two dogs lol. I have to agree they learn so much quicker when they're young!! We taught Gandalf when we brought him home to wait at the door before going out. Love it now when I open the garage door and put on my boots he waits for me to finish up and give him the okay.
Kinda half/half. She is not with him when I take him places as I want him to stand on his own feet. He is crated inside when I work with her outside.
He truly is a joy and so funny with all his clever tactics to outsmart her (they always backfire!). I am si glad to have two dogs again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page