keeping people away from puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

keeping people away from puppy

I want to take my pup out but the amount of attention she draws in more public places is a huge pain in the rear,hordes of people come over and I find myself constantly having to ask people not to touch her and often other people will come and stroke her while I'm distracted telling them.

The only 2 possible solutions I can think of are bringing a friend along as crowd control,or buying a collar/lead telling people not to pet her.

Anyone have any other solutions that won't involve wearing a stupid looking collar or having a second person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Master Member

Avoid super crowded places. Pick places that have some people, but not more than you can handle or else bring a friend along. Don't stay in one place either, keep moving, if you are stopped you are a sitting target. If you are going to take your puppy out in public then people wanting to pet her are going to be part of the deal until she is past the super cute phase.

I have never used the patches so no idea how well they work. I don't overdo public places with a young puppy since people do tend to freak out and think they must touch the puppy or else they will die. I choose quiet places at off hours so I do not have to ward off a ton of people. Also if you appear to be busy training you puppy vs just standing or sitting people are less likely to interrupt you.
car2ner likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Master Member

I can personally say that the patches and/or leashes with "DO NOT PET" on them don't do that much. People tend to not even read when they're thinking, "Look at the cute puppy!" The patches certainly help sometimes, but I don't think it will make a huge difference for you. I would just avoid big crowds like that until she's 4-5 months when she isn't a super cute little puppy. I noticed a difference in people wanting to pet my boy when he got about 5 months old.

Also, if someone heads toward you and you are having a hard time keeping them away, just tell them she's not friendly. I know it isn't ideal, but that really makes people stop and think.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Knighted Member

All the gear in the world will never work like a good "resting 'female dog' face."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Master Member

You can also stop people dead by telling them your puppy has mange, which technically all puppies do. A simple "Oh please don't pet her she has mange" or "Thank you for asking, but she has mange" is going to stop most people.
angelas likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Avoid super crowded places. Pick places that have some people, but not more than you can handle or else bring a friend along. Don't stay in one place either, keep moving, if you are stopped you are a sitting target. If you are going to take your puppy out in public then people wanting to pet her are going to be part of the deal until she is past the super cute phase.

I have never used the patches so no idea how well they work. I don't overdo public places with a young puppy since people do tend to freak out and think they must touch the puppy or else they will die. I choose quiet places at off hours so I do not have to ward off a ton of people. Also if you appear to be busy training you puppy vs just standing or sitting people are less likely to interrupt you.
I think this is good advice. And it will die down as the dog matures. Everyone wanted to pet my dog when she was tiny, and as soon as she was recognizable as a GSD (ears up, saddle pattern emerging), that number decreased sharply. It goes from, "OH SO CUTE!" to, "OMG IT'S GOING TO EAT ME!" relatively quickly.
Bramble and Sabis mom like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Come to my neighborhood and walk your puppy. When Shelby was a young puppy - like 2.5 months old, people were already afraid of her and crossing the street. Never saw anything like it in my life. Crazy.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Even in less crowded areas, even with a leash that says DO NOT PET in silver reflective letters, even with an 85 pound dog who has, even if he is in a great mood, "suspicion eyebrows" (or skeptical at best), I deal with this. I usually barely have time to say "no he is in training" before they are in our space.

I have been working hard on distractions and greeting manners with my dog. His dad was a police dog, it shows. He does not bite or growl at this point, but he does not like when strangers squeal and ruffle his fur or loom over him. TBH I am happy if NOBODY pets him while we are out. He does great with anyone he needs to do great with. All kids, my kids, my kid's friends, likes my neighbors, likes my kid's therapists that come in everyday after school. Once someone is known, or if I obviously known them and greet them, he is FINE. Accepting, a little aloof. Until you are a regular then you are a friend.

He just does not like when complete strangers rush up to him going AWWWWWWWWWW and putting their hands all over his head and neck. Can you tell I just had an "annoying people" weekend??lol

At the end of the day, if you are going to be out and about with a dog you have to unfortunately deal with it. And at the end of the day you will have to be in control of your dog even if the other people are at fault. That is why training in quiet less crowded places will be your best bet, even then people will be inappropriate.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
All the gear in the world will never work like a good "resting 'female dog' face."
lol. this
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

I've been trying to get people to stop molesting my service dog for a decade. I am not nearly as friendly about it anymore.
angelas and Sabis mom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page