Basic Obedience Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Basic Obedience Training

A few weeks ago I had taken Diesel to his first obedience training class (it is at the same place I would bring him to doggy daycare) when we arrived there the room was not ready yet so we all stayed out in the lobby. Diesel was pulling and lunging toward the other dogs and barking. (I'm 5ft 95lb) so was quite the spectacle.

When we arrived in the room he would not stop barking I was so embarrassed, I almost left.

Next time my husband went with and he did the same actions on the leash and we just left.

My husband said the trainer should have corrected his behavior while I was there (barking) which she didn't.

I am thinking of private classes and possibly taking him to see Anna Childs in Iowa (that's where his grandparents are from on his mom's side).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is he? Have you done any training with him at home and out in the world prior to this class?

I'm not familiar with Anna Childs. Private training will be more expensive than a group class, but if you'd feel more comfortable working with him in a less stimulating environment then it may be worth it to go that route, especially if you're not that confident about your knowledge and experience in training and behavior.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I taught him how to sit, and shake and that's all he really knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
How old is he?
6mos. Actually 4 days younger than my pup

Possible confidence issues? Could be just frustrated and wanting to play. My pup does that when we go to play with my in-law's dogs. She knows when we're at the gate and she'll start whining a LOT

Maybe so many dogs in such close proximity is the problem and your pup doesn't know how to handle it

How does Diesel do if you're at the park? When people come over to your house?

My pup gets very excited at the in-laws and even when my wife gets home from work she'll start to pace and run and whine wanting my wife to play with her. I really need to work with her about that. She must be calm to get pets or play
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

We haven't gone to the park, yet. I take him for walks around the block and he was going to doggy daycare from age 4 months to 6 months, but had to stop, because I didn't get him neutered yet. He does great when people come over on Football Sundays with their dogs.

I think what he wanted was to get off the leash and play. Since that's what he does when I normally bring him there.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Knighted Member

My puppy also had some dog reactivity while on leash, and I honestly couldn't tell clearly whether it was aggression, fear, or excitement. I mean when the dog is generally barking and lunging while another dog is walking by there's enough to deal with just holding them back

What I found helpful with my pup was just sitting in the park, or at a strip mall that has a petco or other dog friendly business, letting the dog just take in the sights at a comfortable distance, then moving closer over time as the puppy became more comfortable. I think a little maturity also helps, but I was amazed at how quickly she calmed down after just a few sessions in these places.

My girl was doing pretty good at 6 months, but then had a bit of a relapse at just before 9 months when she seemed to be going through a bit of a fear period, and went back to being a bit unpredictable around other dogs while onleash. But she snapped out of that within a couple weeks and we just did a few more sessions in the park to get her over it.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeny83 View Post
A few weeks ago I had taken Diesel to his first obedience training class (it is at the same place I would bring him to doggy daycare) when we arrived there the room was not ready yet so we all stayed out in the lobby. Diesel was pulling and lunging toward the other dogs and barking. (I'm 5ft 95lb) so was quite the spectacle.

When we arrived in the room he would not stop barking I was so embarrassed, I almost left.

Next time my husband went with and he did the same actions on the leash and we just left.

My husband said the trainer should have corrected his behavior while I was there (barking) which she didn't.

I am thinking of private classes and possibly taking him to see Anna Childs in Iowa (that's where his grandparents are from on his mom's side).
There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Thats no big deal. I'm not much for group ob, I like to use space, but what collar did you have on him?

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Thats no big deal. I'm not much for group ob, I like to use space, but what collar did you have on him?

Just a normal collar
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Flat, buckle collar? Not a choke or prong?

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Flat, buckle collar? Not a choke or prong?
nope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page