Training a Puppy to be on his own in the garden... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Training a Puppy to be on his own in the garden...

We brought home our new 7 weeks old family member named Cody and i was wondering how can i get him used to stay by himself outside safely? For now i've installed a trolley leash on the side of the house and started spending time with him there but in case i need to leave the house for few hours i don't want him to cry/bark or most importantly get anxious. I 've also mounted a camera with microphone to talk to him and monitor him, would this be a good tool to train him remotely if i'm away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Knighted Member

In my opinion a puppy that young should never be kept outside for more than just a few minutes by himself. Do you have a crate in the house? That's a much safer place to keep him if you need to leave him for a short time. If you're talking about leaving him outside for more than a few minutes, he should be in a kennel area with a crate or house to relax in. But at this age I would strongly advise against tethering him outside for any reason! Inside in a crate, or outside in a kennel, or with you (preferably!). In a month or 2 he'll be able to handle a little more time on his own if kenneled. But a puppy left to his own devices outside for hours is very likely to result in him developing bad behaviors you'll regret later on.
Castlemaid and Sabis mom like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

He's too young to be outside on his own. If you have to leave him alone for a couple not few hours I'd put him in an x-pen or crate. Better yet, have a friend, family member or pet sitter be with him while you're gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2k View Post
but in case i need to leave the house for few hours i don't want him to cry/bark or most importantly get anxious.
Like other posters, I would strongly advise against doing this and strongly encourage you to crate the puppy inside. In the scenario you've described, barking and/or anxiety is really low on the list of Things That Could Go Wrong. For example, the puppy could get entangled in the line and injure or strangle itself (#1 reason why I hate tie outs). The puppy also could eat something potentially dangerous (e.g., sticks, rocks, even poison) which could lead obstruction, mouth/throat puncture or internal bleeding, resulting in a trip to the ER --- if you're lucky. If a puppy/dog is going to be outside, you need to provide shelter from the elements to which puppies are uniquely susceptible (heat, rain and cold) with clean water continuously available. Puppies are notoriously good at knocking over water buckets and playing. Would you want to leave it alone for several hours, in high temps, and risk dehydration? Finally, it's not uncommon for unsupervised dogs to be stolen from their yards and used for nefarious purposes (e.g., resale, bait dogs, etc.) or because an unbalanced person simply wants that cute puppy.

Another thing to consider is that puppies want to be with you. Their desire/impulse for proximity is critical in establishing a solid relationship and beginning training. Don't let such an important opportunity pass you by.

I've found crate training and/or x-pens (inside!) to be a great tool for teaching dogs/puppies all sorts of useful things (e.g., how to behave when left alone). Most importantly, you know that the puppy is a safe as you can make it when you're not there. Lots of links here describing how to do this, so rummage around.

Aly

Last edited by Aly; 01-30-2018 at 07:18 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Master Member

At his age he's missing his mom and litter mates and he'll want to be held or be very close too you. I wouldn't leave him in a yard tethered or not---unsupervised-- it's a recipe for bad things to happen. As others have said use a crate during the times when you and/or family aren't interacting with the new pup. Yes he's gonna whine/cry in the crate unless he's worn out from play BUT don't give in and let him out simply because he cries-he'll learn that's what gets him out (not a good thing)---get him on a regular routine/schedule of eating-- going outside etc. Dogs like a regular routine and IMO you can't start too early. Again IMO since you can't be with him 24/7 a crate is the way to go--but at his age don't leave him in your yard unsupervised.

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 01-30-2018 at 08:06 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Crowned Member

Since you are planning on tethering this puppy outside, it leads me to believe your yard is not fenced. How will a puppy that has been in this world a mere 56 days defend itself from whatever may wander onto your property? At that age, it would be natural to run from a threat.

I would suspect some neighborhood children might be highly tempted to take this puppy home if left alone outside unsupervised.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM

When I was a teen and I didn't know about crates and pups, my sis and I tethered our pup outside where we thought it was safe. When we came back from school the pup was dead. We had no idea that he would get himself into such a dangerous position. Now we have our dogs indoors, crated if still a baby, when we are not home. Even our adults stay indoors when we are not there to keep an eye on things.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

Also he is coyote bait. Coyotes have infiltrated urban areas and make a good living on cat meat.

This is not just a puppy, it is a BABY PUPPY. I second what others have said.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM

oh and the camera and monitor won't do a thing to train your dogs unless they learn that they get rewards from the strange body-less voice. We have Ring doorbells and have tried talking to our dogs outside. They quickly loose interest in anything we say to them through the speakers.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch for all the great feedback! I'm training him to stay in that side of house just because i know in some rare occasions (I work from home but do have to attend meetings from time to time) i won't be able to bring him with me. As of today, he has not been away from me for more than few minutes at the time like when playing with the kids in the garden. I know the bonds we need to form thanks to my kids so i'm taking this very serioushly and border line too seriously if you ask my wife ;-) Now, the place i setup the trolley leash at is paved and fenced and is located right below my deck so during the day, i stay there with him to play and while he takes a nap and leave him there for few minutes at the time always with supervision (through the bathroom window) of course to get him acquainted with that space. I understand the risk mentioned and I;ve also asked my neighbor to keep him if i have to leave the house for few hours at the time. Since i go blessed to bring him home, he has been with me 24/7 and i'm watching him like a hawk! I don't feel good leaving him in a crate since one of my previous dog died at a pet hotel while being kept in a crate. They said he suffered from a heart attack due to too much anxiety being left alone in a crate so since then, no crate for any of my babies. Anyway, I agree that he is too young to be left alone and will ensure my neighbor or friend can keep in instead. Thanks again for the feedback!
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page