What treats are you using during training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

What treats are you using during training?

(except packaged treats sold in petstores)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Um...sometimes I use bits of cheese or chicken at home, but whenever I want something portable, it's packaged treats. Cloudstar is a favorite.
Mary Beth likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Packaged treats? I seldom use those for training but as rewards for coming back indoors from playing in the yard. My dogs seem to like the ones that are like chicken or rabbit jelly beans. Dogs are weird.

Sometimes a tiny bit of cheese but too much cheese leads to bad things poop-wise. I do use hot dogs because they are handy and sometimes chunked bologna, but not frequently because they are high in salt. If I could easily carry around chicken knuckles or little balls of ground beef, my dogs would be thrilled! Not my pocket, though.

For some scent searches first thing in the morning my dogs get a nice big slice of crunchy apple. But like WateryTart, for portability I use pre-made commercial stuff.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Knighted Member

I very seldom use treats away from home, but at home it's usually cheese or hot dog pieces, or scraps of any leftovers on hand.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

I also use the Cloud Star Tricky Trainer treats, but for if you'd like to make your own, this article has recipes:

Cheap and Easy Training Treats for your Dog ? Your Dog's Friend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Master Member

Years back when positive reinforcement training was just getting popular--a trainer in a class I was in suggested hot dogs cut up about 1/4 inch thick. Then either oven baked or microwaved until the moisture was gone and they were crunchy/crispy. Kept them in a fanny pack during training--my dog loved them ( he could be a little picky)---They had very little smell (at least to a human)--weren't messy at all and they lasted a long time sorta like jerky.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
Um...sometimes I use bits of cheese or chicken at home, but whenever I want something portable, it's packaged treats. Cloudstar is a favorite.

Cooked or raw chicken?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 AM

My GSD has been picky with treats (for training), does not like hot dogs which is what our trainer uses and most other treats she will take, then drop on the ground.

We got a sample of a treat at our local feed store - Papa Psuka. My dog loves it and has for several months now. It's the consistency of a dried bread stick and I typically break it into smallish bites for a quick reward.

It does not smell great (probably why the dogs love it), but it is dry and not messy. Works great in your pocket or treat pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/Papa-Psuka-Ba...uka+dog+treats
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

I hardly use store bought as most contain sugars or other stuff they don't need. The only store bought treats I use are dried lamb lung, and frozen raw chunks. But mainly I use left-over meat scraps from raw steak, cooked meats, scraped-off turkey and chicken carcasses, incl skin etc. Oh my, I do sound like a carnivore. I always have to remember that they don't contain onion residue. I freeze these in small Ziplock snack bags, take them out when needed. So I am stocking up on these for the new pup's arrival in several weeks. This works great and sometimes they have to thaw out on the way to class if I forgot.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Some overlap, but here you go.

Premium kibble or cat kibble when I can get away with it (indoors, low distraction).

His usual kibble pre-soaked in milk or other tasty liquid, often add parmesan cheese to add flavour. I use a medium ziplock baggie, fill the bag until laid out flat there is as much kibble as possible with stacking, add milk enough to cover & the parmesan cheese, shake, flatten, leave over night, ready for the morning.

Rollover dog food roll, sliced & diced.

Hot dogs/chicken weiners etc. sliced & diced.

String cheese, spliced lengthwise--these can be wriggled to make them 'come alive' & in motion are super high value.

Those are my regulars, for convenience & price, in order of value to the dog.

Obviously, real meat, especially cooked leftovers, like Swiss Chalet is awesome, and rare, sausage, bagged pre-cooked spiced chicken, etc.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page