Leash training basics? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Leash training basics?

I have a 3.5 month female GSD and. 5 year old GSD. I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on early leash training skills for my puppy. I admit, my older dog never got great on leash. Sheís not terrible or anything on it, but if I jog with her on leash, she will pull sometimes. I can take her to public places on leash just fine, but she doesnít exactly heel. We have always lived in rural areas and near off leash trails. She has excellent recall and stays in sight, so when leash training didnít come as easily as the other things I was training, I kind of dropped the ball. I donít want this to be the case with my new pup. What are some of the things you do at this early age to get a dog property leash trained? Also, if I take them on walks together and the older dog is off leash and the puppy in on leash, is this an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

I think the most important part is to stop whenever the puppy pulls so that she knows that pulling will not get her anywhere. When the puppy pulls I make a sound like a click then when the puppy turns to me, I turn and give the puppy a treat when she follows. It helps to make the sessions very short and work with just the puppy alone.

This older thread has some suggestions:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM

This is my biggest problem with my GS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:52 PM

I take one on leash and one off at home on our road.It's not easy for the leashed dog to watch the other one loping and trotting around at a dog's pace.Especially a young puppy!I would walk him or her alone at first then very short periods with the other one running free.A few more minutes every time.Distractions and duration in increasing increments.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Master Member

I leash train by going on a walk. If pup pulls, I stop and calmly pull her back to position. We then stand there for up to 2mins. It's been going ok. We don't walk as much as we should, but I'm going to change that

Note: if you train that way, the object is NOT trying to get somewhere. It's to train. A 5min walk can take 20mins if your pup keeps pulling

You and the pup will get frustrated, but just stay calm. Your pup will start to figure it out

I've tried 3 different methods, and this method is working the best for me and my 5mo pup
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I will look through the thread. I will try that method some more. I read through another thread in this section as well that was helpful. I think I just need to be more patient and intentional with the stop and turn around type training and definitely separate the two dogs during the sessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page