Off Leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Off Leash

Is it a good idea or bad idea to let my doggies off leash?
***REMOVED BY MODERATOR***

Too Easy

Last edited by GypsyGhost; 01-20-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Racial slurs/swearing in video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 AM

if you can control them when a threat appears then more power to you
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggytheSheprador View Post
if you can control them when a threat appears then more power to you
I didn't have treats at the time, but when I did it didnt really matter if i call them with or without treats because they'll just come get petted and let loose They dont really follow me by my side

Too Easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Crowned Member

I think off leash should be the ultimate goal, as long as you have control of your dogs and can reliably recall them off of a child riding a bike, a cat, another dog, etc.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

I usually test them in the woods and such with a long lead. With the hopes of seeing a trigger like a squirrel or deer that won't call the authorities is a dog runs at them and scares them lol Or if we encounter another hiker I like to see if I can always call them back before they jerk on the lead.Once I can reliably call them off various triggers without the slack of the lead being pulled out before they stop, then I'll start off lead again in the woods. If he does chase a squirrel or something without the back up security of the long lead, I'm panicked, the quarry is panicked, but there are no people that have been unfairly scared by a German Shepherd off lead bounding up to them. Once they are proven in those situations, then I'll allow them off lead in more populated places, like my un fenced front yard.

Everyone has an obligation to be a good German Shepherd owner(well dog owner in general, but this a GSD forum and they can be more judged than your average mutt). If your dog is not yet a good ambassador for the breed, just make sure you practice off lead in areas where unsuspected people will NOT suffer from the consequences of too much too soon. Maybe just the random squirrel lol
Sunsilver likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

I would be very careful in comparing a quiet, neutral wooded area as a distraction to a busier, unfenced front yard. Add in an average GSD's innate tendency to be protective and territorial of its home, and things can have quite a different and not so nice ending.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

Oh absolutely. I was listing the order of working on it. To be honest, I never let them off lead even if they are trustworthy, in a park, town or busy setting. Too much can go wrong. Safety wise and liability wise. If something happens, even if they are not at fault, guess what? You were breaking the leash laws.If someone was threatening to him, but didn't follow through with their intentions because your dog stopped them? They won't know what was in the bad guy's mind..they will just know your off leash dog was aggressive. Not worth it.

The extent of off lead in town is my front lawn and only after he has proven that people or prey can't call him away, flawlessly. My boyfriend lives in a very wooded areas with lots of acreage. My goal for off leash is hikes and exploration in those settings.

As for populated areas , if their leash manners are good there is no reason to not be able to pleasantly do things with them on a 6 to 8 ft lead in populated settings. If their leash manners are NOT pleasant that is only more reason not to let them off lead, and to work on their lead manners.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Last edited by CometDog; 01-18-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

I should add I live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone. I know all of my neighbors on my street and we all know our dogs. It's a quiet street. Yesterday the neighbor kids were trying to call him for me and he would not leave the lawn until I released him to go say hello. It is a dead end too. This was worked up to using long leads. Not trial and error.

To the OP not trying to sound preachy but if the question is in your mind, they should not be off lead in a park. You could lose your dogs for liability reasons even if something wasn't your fault. And if the town you are in has leash laws it wont matter what happened or why- you would be cited and held liable for anything that happened. Just a heads up.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Last edited by CometDog; 01-18-2018 at 10:33 AM.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

You can't stop a child, another dog, a neighbor's escaped cat, or a delivery man from coming onto unfenced property. It doesn't matter how well trained your dog is.

There was a thread on this forum where somebody's dog was lying on its front lawn with its owner on the porch. This GSD was raised with children and knew the neighbor's child that approached to pet it when it nipped. It almost lost its life due to that town's excessive all breed dangerous dog laws which called for the dog to be put down, no excuses. An out of state trainer on this board stepped up to take the dog and the judge permitted this dog with a bite history to be transported across state lines (to an area where it most likely will have a clean slate) in lieu of euthanasia.

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM

My 3 month old GSD is weirdo.

If I have him on the leash, he will try to drag me all over the place (not trained yet). If triggered by some interesting smell, he won't listen to anything.

However once I take off the leasch, he will walk right next to me, check me every two steps and listen to every command, even if there's something extremely interesting like squirrel or another puppy. I test it every day and without leasch he's like and angel. On the leasch he's a little crazy devil.

I guess it has to do something with security, connection and confidence, that leasch gives him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page