Petsmart puppy class??!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Petsmart puppy class??!!

Yea, yea, i know, most people despise Petsmart for the money grabbing store that it is but some of us find them useful for some stuff.....!!!!!

My wife wants to enroll our 22 week male in their 6 week program, its $120....

Has anyone done it or heard about it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

What are you hoping to gain?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
What are you hoping to gain?
I have yet to look into it, my wife brought up the idea, as she heard about it at the store... and said its 1 hour per week, for 6 weeks...

Im assuming its basics, but not really sure...

I guess im looking for more reassurance it wont be a complete waste of money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

This is from the website:

6-week class teaches:

Simple cues like sit, come & stay
Basic manners
Socialization with people & other dogs
Loose-leash walking
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Master Member

We did this class just because it was free....if you know anything about training this course is a joke. Itís good for socialization though. It helped us with working and staying focused while out of control puppies were around.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM
Master Member

See if there is a local place that offers AKC puppy STAR classes. These classes prep a puppy for the CGC when they are older.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:44 PM
Master Member

Agreed, look for a STAR class. Petsmart classes are terrible and for that money you can enroll in a nice puppy class elsewhere.
Sunsilver likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLla84 View Post
This is from the website:

6-week class teaches:

Simple cues like sit, come & stay
Basic manners
Socialization with people & other dogs
Loose-leash walking
Do you think you guy's could use some help with those things? If not, that's definitely where the waste of money would come in. I've listened to the one guy at the Petco by me and I've seen the Petsmart classes and instructors giving extra attention to people outside the training area. If you are having some problems, I wouldn't look to them for help, but I never notice anything so out of line that it would hurt you with those basics any more then any other group setting. Its always going to come down to the individual trainer.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

I'd enroll in the same class elsewhere. Sometimes you will get lucky and get a decent trainer but those trainers quickly move on to places that make better use of their experience.

The criteria for teaching a PetSmart class is focused on selling classes, not actual training. It's a short online Q&A and TADA you are now a trainer. Not only do few of them have actual training experience, some of them don't even own dogs. PetSmart also has strict rules on what type of training equipment they are allowed to use in class and how to teach an activity. Method A is all they allow and if your dog learns better with Method B you are out of luck because you aren't allowed to do that in a sponsored class.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

I've talked with trainers at Petsmart and Petco during adoption events when I have hours to kill. I've watched their classes. I even know one of their store trainers -- she is sweet, but she had NO background in training (not even her own dogs) and was a shelter kennel worker/adoption counselor before becoming the store's "trainer." My understanding is that they have weekend seminars that teach cashiers and line employees how to be dog trainers, using their cookie-cutter program. They know how to do exactly what the seminar trains them to do. Nothing more, and they cannot deviate from it. Ask your store's trainer for her background and really delve into it -- has she titled any dog (even in CGC)? Done anything with her dogs? Taken classes outside the Pet* program to broaden perspective? Earned APDT certification?

Watch a class without telling them you're considering signing up. The ones I saw were pure chaos. The dogs are too close together in a little temporary pen set up in the middle of the store. There's no control of dogs or people. Dogs I saw were ignoring people and doing whatever they pleased with each other because they were right on top of each other in the confined space, and no one had any interest in telling them to knock it off or figuring out how to hold their attention.

Aside from inexperience, the store employees seem kind of desperate to fill classes because they seem to get paid based on class attendance. One of the PS trainers yelled -- literally yelled -- at one of our rescue volunteers who was in the store helping an adopter select equipment, including a prong collar for an 85# adolescent, high-drive male, in preparation to attend a different trainer's class. She screamed about prongs being inhumane, said said nasty things about the trainer our rescue works with who routinely teaches people how to use that tool (and who actually owns GSDs, works with problem dogs, and gets the job done). The ironic thing is that our trainer is the most easy going, gentle, patient person I know, but he's a boss--dogs LOVE him; that Petsmart lady was a short-fused loon that dogs were all trying avoid.
sit,stay, Jax08, wolfy dog and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-17-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page