Hey kid leave me alone I don't wanna play - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hey kid leave me alone I don't wanna play

Piper will play with Ranger sometime, but often he gets too rough. I'v tried waiting to see if she will be one to tell the kid to cut it out, but she never growls at him only resorting to biting his cheek when he gets too demanding. She doesnt bite hard to hurt him seriously...just enough to get his attention

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Knighted Member

Cute video. What does Piper do when he gets too rough? She seemed to be kind of enjoying it in the video, at least from what I could tell...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

What is it with shepherds and smashing their butts into you? I agree with Tim, she looks like she's not too bothered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

piper does not want to be bothered lol! She is polite to. Yeah the gsd butt slam seems to be their invitation to play lol!!!!
Arathorn II likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Elite Member

My little pit does the cheek bite too when he is annoyed. They play fight a lot, when one gets too rough the other let's them know. Then they either go off to their separate corners and sulk, or the offender will switch to kissing the victim's face. They seem to have pretty appropriate conflict resolution for now. Lol I do watch it closely and just don't allow it if I can't supervise somewhat. In my experience once it escalates to a real fight with two dogs, then the potential always remains. Piper is a saint They seem to be good companions. I know how she feels, I wish I could bite my kid's cheeks sometimes when they are climbing all over me when I am trying to catch 10 minutes of sitting down and chilling out lol

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Am I really the only one here who thinks this doesn't look cute or thinks that the female enjoys his antics? To me she is too soft to send him off. If she were more dominant she would have just her front teeth exposed and aggressively tell him "NO!!" and not expose all of them, which shows tension. Also the GSD is not respecting her. My first gut feeling told me to protect her. Wrong observations?

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Am I really the only one here who thinks this doesn't look cute or thinks that the female enjoys his antics? To me she is too soft to send him off. If she were more dominant she would have just her front teeth exposed and aggressively tell him "NO!!" and not expose all of them, which shows tension. Also the GSD is not respecting her. My first gut feeling told me to protect her. Wrong observations?
Watching again, yeah I'd probably intervene. There is a disparity in size with my two as well but they do keep each other in line and cues are respected.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

I do kinda feel he can be a little bit of a bully with her. She is soft. We adopted her almost three years ago from a friend of my wife's after Maverick died.

My wifes friend "shacked" up with a rancher who had cows and other dogs..none of the animals liked her and her boyfriend did not want her in the house so she spent the fall of 2014 and January 15 mostly isolated from the other animals in a kennel.

There are 4 stages of play between them.

1) She will actually move when playing with him

2) She will mostly just sit there if I am close by because she knows I will eventually save her - i dont like doing that because I want her to assert herself more and tell him dog to dog.

3) She tries to avoid or escape him

4) She bares teeth and tries to get him in the cheek. He whimpers and submits to her...for a few seconds

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Now when we got Maverick Ginger was already upset when I got married - she didnt want to share me with anybody. She never played with him. She would growl if he walked by her sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5300064.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	473818  

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Knighted Member

Personally, I think if you intervene you do more harm than good. Dogs are very very good at regulating each other. And whether it makes sense to us or not, from what I've seen if the older and softer dog really is bothered, she won't hesitate to communicate that VERY clearly. The thing is, if you look closely at the video she's clearly enjoying the game...

I currently have an 80 lb 1 yr old GSD and a 5 or 6 lb chi in my house...never had to intervene and they've effectively established their own structure...more often than not when I get up they're snuggled up together! Dogs do this well...people muddy the interaction for both dogs by intervening!
Arathorn II likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 01-17-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page