10 Weeks old Potty Training help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

10 Weeks old Potty Training help!

Well, here it is the potty training help. Miss Nova Just turned 10 weeks today. Got her at 8 weeks. Any info tricks, tips and guidance is much appreciated as im getting very upset. Right now i take nova out try to be consistent every 20-30 min. After meals 30 min. She still pee's and poops in the house constantly. When i do take her out i say "lets go potty" she runs to back door. Yes the door i take her out of at the house in through the kitchen can not be seen from living room. When she goes out she just free roams i dont have her on a leash. Should i have her on leash? Will this help? I know it will show dominance. Our 2 year old pitbull "Karma" was potty trained by 10 weeks. As i was hoping nova seeing karma sitting by the door, barking at us or ringing the bells would help train her. Yes i have bells hanging from the door. Nova ignores them for the most part on occasion she will ring them. When i do take her out and she does her business i always praise her and on occasion give her a treat. Asking for any and all input. What i'm doing wrong? How can i correct this? Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

I always start mine on a leash and when they go we have a "pizza party" with special treats. And remember that puppies will often need to pee more than once while they are out. They don't understand to empty their bladders. And be a boring post that circles where you want them to go. Then you can let them off the leash to play. Always a treat. And often.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Being on leash shows dominance??? Not sure I understand what you mean by that.

Anyways as to the potty training, I have trained my fair share of puppies! I am currently raising my 13th guide dog puppy (1 puppy a year), a 4 month old golden retriever, in addition to the 5 dogs that are mine. You need to watch her like a hawk, continue to praise and treat, you can eventually phase out the treats but for now until she gets it I would continue to treat. Also make sure she is done before you bring her back in. My golden pup has been known to pee 5, yes 5 times before she is done! Yes had her checked for uti, that came back clear. She just likes to pee in multiple spots. After she does go walk her around some just to make sure she is done. Bring her back inside, again watch her like a hawk, any sign at all that she has to go again take her outside. Crate when you cant watch. Never make potty time an end to fun outdoor time, I know this one can be hard especially when you are in a hurry or its freezing cold out. Some dogs learn that going potty outside means an end to fun time, and will even learn that hey if I pee in the house I get to go back outside to play.

I know it seems like it will never end but her bladder muscles will get stronger and she will be able to hold it for longer.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Master Member

First off, just because your pit was housebroken at 10wks doesn't mean anything to your new puppy. I've heard of some dogs that took until 5mos old until they were house broken

When my pup was that young, I was taking her out more often than you. It got to a point were I was taking her out every 10mins

I would assume that your pup has some freedom in the house and is why she is going in the house? Puppies can't have much freedom in the house. They need to be confined to a smaller area. You need to watch them like a hawk. I used a playpen until around 12wks. Then I allowed her to have the living room/ dining room area which is an 11x18' area and could still watch her. At 20wks, we finally started letting her have more room and can go into the front hall and kitchen now and then, but is not allowed upstairs unless we're with her

My routine was in the crate for an hr. Then out to go potty, and then come back in for 30mins of play. In that time, I'd take her out for potty if I needed to and usually did. When time was up, it was back into the crate for an hr

If you can't have eyes on your puppy, then she need to be in the crate

I'd honestly forego the bells for now... plus, you'll be keeping a very watchful eye on your pup anyway, so bells won't be needed. Puppies do not have control of their bladder until around 12+wks. Until then, when they have to go, it'll be NOW. Their legs can't move them fast enough and they can't hold it, so they will have an accident. This is why you need to just take them out often. My pup didn't get better about holding it until 13wks and was even better by 14wks and she would start whining to be let out

As for going out, leash her. I'd pick up my pup, put the leash on, then take her outside onto the grass before putting her down. You can then let her walk around, or train her to go in a certain spot of the yard. Regardless, any bathroom time outside should be heavily praised for going potty. Treat if your pup will take them. My pup did, then stopped caring for treats after a while, so I just relied on lots of praise

Also, some pups will have to go a few times (again, they have little to no bladder control and won't go all the way). Too many owners think one and done, bring pup inside, and pup immediately goes again. Plan on staying outside for about 5min just to make sure. I never knew about this, but my pup would only go once and was fine. Guess I was lucky

You got a puppy. Be patient and stay vigilant. It's a lot of work, but don't get discouraged.

Last edited by Armistice; 01-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I had read that when potty training to have them on a leash it shows them that "myself" is the dominate one. Should i do a leash when i take her out? Cold is right haha. Im in ohio and its been freezing! Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwillis22 View Post
I had read that when potty training to have them on a leash it shows them that "myself" is the dominate one. Should i do a leash when i take her out? Cold is right haha. Im in ohio and its been freezing! Thanks for the input.
Leash when you go out. I don't think a puppy that young has a concept of dominance or social structure. All a puppy wants to do is eat, play, and sleep
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That's just not true.For some excellent tips on raising puppies I like Stonnie Davis a lot.An excellent book is Behind the Leash by Patricia MacConnell.
The other posters had good advice.Keep puppy in a small area and when out free have eyes on him.I'm north of you and feel your pain about the freezing weather!Standing outside in the wind wondering Why,why,why did I get a puppy in the winter?!
Armistice likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
For some excellent tips on raising puppies I like Stonnie Davis a lot.
I second that. I watched a lot of Stonnie's videos before getting my pup
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, I had never heard that before. I don't think a puppy of that age would see that as dominance.

I am probably the exception/bad one here but I don't normally take them out on a leash since my yard is fenced in, usually the first week or two I might if I happen to have the leash handy, most of the time I was just scooping and running out the door.

I am in Northwest Ohio so yeah, the weather sucks It is either too cold or everything is slushy and muddy. Once the yard refreezes, (probably tonight) I need do a good mopping of the kitchen floor the paw prints are getting out of hand right now. lol

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
Thanks for the answer, I had never heard that before. I don't think a puppy of that age would see that as dominance.

I am probably the exception/bad one here but I don't normally take them out on a leash since my yard is fenced in, usually the first week or two I might if I happen to have the leash handy, most of the time I was just scooping and running out the door.

I am in Northwest Ohio so yeah, the weather sucks It is either too cold or everything is slushy and muddy. Once the yard refreezes, (probably tonight) I need do a good mopping of the kitchen floor the paw prints are getting out of hand right now. lol

I am also Northwest ohio. Between Findlay and Lima. My yard is mess right now. So is my kitchen floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page