House training puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

House training puppy

Looking for advice on how to adjust our house breaking strategy to help us sleep. It's been 2,5 weeks since we brought an 8 week old puppy home. The arrangement so far has been to tether him to us at night and sleep on the couch with him on the floor next to us so he can easily let us know when he needs to go out. So far as potty training this seems to be working great as he will only rarely have an accident if we are too slow getting out the door. However, the sleep deprivation is starting to become an issue. Last night for instance was out every half hour between 1 and 5 am. Puppy is not just messing about though, he peed or pooed every time. The plan was to start transitioning him to sleeping in his crate now that he is comfortable in there, but im not sure if it will help. I'm thinking he will just whine to be let out to go to the bathroom and essentially learn that whining gets him out of the crate. BTW I say we but really it's my husband on the couch becoming sleep deprived not me ? how can we adjust our current strategy? Advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Master Member

Times will vary so adjust them to your schedule. I would pick up water and food at 9pm. Last potty break was at 11pm. For about a month, I took my pup out every 2hrs. She slept in a crate and I slept on the couch about 6' from the crate. I was the one caring for her. I let my wife sleep since she had work

At 3mos I upped night time breaks to 3-4hrs and by 4mos she was able to go the whole night

To prevent accidents going to the door, I just picked up my pup and carried her outside. I knew she'd have an accident. I did that until she was around 12wks. Still would have an accident now and then at the door, but by then, my back was killing me from picking her up so much

You will pretty much be sleep deprived until he's able to go 4hrs (pretty much half the night). It should get easier and then you'll be fine once he's sleeping the whole night

As for whining in the crate, I would avoid that by taking him out BEFORE he whines. However, if he starts whining, do not let him out. Once he's quiet, THEN let him out to go potty

Don't fret. All of us who've started with an 8-10wk puppy have gone through the same pain

Last edited by Armistice; 01-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Eitheir you are overreacting and taking him too seriously or I was extremely lucky with my puppy.

Got him when he was 2,5 months old. He accepted me as his best friend the first day and wouldn't leave my side. He slept in a crate next to my bed, without waking up, making any noises and patiently waiting for us to wake up. Since the first night.

Since the 5th day we move crate infront of bedroom, since my wife hated the smell. Again not a single whine, slept like a baby.

And since a second week he is sleeping freely in the house (hates crate). Right now sleeping next to me on the bed. But once I close TV he will most likely go sleep somewhere else. As he prefers his personal space for a sleep.

He still cant hold it all night, so he is going in the night potty into hallway (every night). As it's just a night thingand there's ceramic tiles it's not a big problem.

Also he doesn't chew on anything or destroy things, so he can be left all night free without supervision.

He will soon turn 3 months old.

Last edited by andywhite; 01-10-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM
Master Member

In my opinion, no puppy should be allowed to be free and unsupervised at any time. Especially a puppy that is not house broken. My puppy is 21wks old (almost 5mos) and I JUST started letting her have more consistent free time, but is still not allowed upstairs unless someone is with her, and she still sleeps in a crate at night

I feel what you're doing will prolong the process as your puppy will learn it's ok to go in the house. Bad habits are easy to learn and difficult to unlearn

I think you're being a bit irresponsible to not take your pup out at night

You do what you think is right though, but you are far from being "extremely lucky" if your pup still goes on the floor because he's not housebroken
tc68, JessicaR and camperbc like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
Eitheir you are overreacting and taking him too seriously or I was extremely lucky with my puppy... He still cant hold it all night, so he is going in the night potty into hallway (every night). As it's just a night thing and there's ceramic tiles it's not a big problem. Also he doesn't chew on anything or destroy things, so he can be left all night free without supervision.
I agree with Armistice; this is a bit irresponsible, in my opinion also. You are not what most would describe as "extremely lucky" if your dog is still going potty in the house. You even went so far as to say that "he can be left all night free without supervision"... all this, after just telling us that he is doing his business indoors. Every. Night. Wow, I'm confused. Without taking the whole crate training thing seriously, I am betting he will only continue to call your hallway his bathroom.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Sabis mom likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Master Member

Your puppy is going in the hallway every night....maybe you should wake up and let the **** dog outside......
Sabis mom and camperbc like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice armistice! Andywhite, thanks for responding but I don't think we are a match in terms of training styles. Fully prepared for the sleepless nights, but thought there might be more good suggestions in the forum.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Master Member

I got my GSD at 8 weeks. By 9 weeks he was sleeping through the night. When I picked him up my breeder me he would be sleeping through the night within a week. I crated him at night beside my bed. Most puppies instinctively won't pee or poo where they sleep, and this is why crate training usually works. I think using a crate not only helps prevent accidents, but also helps teach a puppy to hold it. Unless their is a medical reason behind a puppy needing to potty frequently, a 10 week old puppy should not need to go out every half hour. I think your puppy is not learning to sleep through the night, but that whining gets him a trip outside whenever he wants at night. If your puppy is sleeping for shorter periods rather than longer ones at night then your current set up obviously isn't working.
Sabis mom and camperbc like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 AM

I am not an expert, but I would get started with the crate now. I bet it will change things. Because they donít want to soil their sleep space they learn to hold it and start strengthening the muscles required to do so. Just as other people said, I would take away food and water around 8:30-9 and take the puppy out two more times before putting her in the crate around 11. I slept on the couch near the crate for about two weeks. I set an alarm for 2:30-3am and would take her out then, and again around 5:30-6. She typically slept in between those times. After about a week, I stopped setting the alarms because I was waking her up to go. I started letting her wake me up and she slowly slept longer and longer through the night over the next few weeks. By 3 months she was sleeping through the night (approx 7 hours) in a crate near our bed. No accidents at all since she was about 10-11 weeks and never an accident in the crate. This system has worked fabulously for us and we get to sleep!! ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:08 PM

The crate will help. When you first put him in it heíll cry for a couple of nights but heíll adjust. He wonít soil where he sleeps.

Most everyone takes water away at night. I never have. I have a well-hydrated dog. Lol. Mine used to cry when she had to go in the middle of the night.

But it was amazingly quick before she was able to stay crated all night. I was happily surprised. Hopefully yours will catch on quickly!

Zelda born 7/6/17

At the bridge; forever in my heart
Brandy rescued Labrador
Oreo rescued Border Collie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page