Modified Board and Train Option? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Modified Board and Train Option?

Thank you all for your honest and direct advice about the litter we're considering in a previous thread! All your notes are taken. As of right now we're still considering the litter, with direction from our breeder on the individual pups and what their temperaments end up being like. So we may end up with a pup from this litter, we may not. In the meantime, we're still looking at trainer options in our area so if we do get a pup we aren't scrambling around last minute.

It seems a lot (most?) people on the board aren't fans of board and train programs due to the breed's personality and their own preference for training? My dad professionally board and trains retrievers for hunting and competition, but as I've learned retrievers and GSDs are very different animals...

We're novice GSD trainers...and definitely want a professional in our corner as we raise our pup, but we also want to be very hands on. One trainer in the area has a modified board and train program. You take the dog in the morning three days a week for the trainer to work with them and then you pick up at the end of the day and the trainer shows you what they worked on with the dog and gives you 'homework'. Each session is two weeks (6 days) and they offer this for puppies 6 months+.

It's not a doggy daycare situation and the dog is not allowed to free run with other dogs while there. It appears this is mostly used for basic to advanced obedience, can include training for reactivity if it's needed.

Initial thoughts on this type of program? What kinds of questions should I be asking this trainer to gauge whether they'd be good for us/our dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Master Member

Focus on potty training and bonding and see where you are. Maybe you will do so great you wonít even need a trainer! I would prefer classes or private lessons. Board and trains are more for people who donít have time or it is out of their control.
GettingToKnowGSDs likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Master Member

I'm not against board and trains at all. Those who are against them are either better trainers or buy into too many buzzwords. The one you suggest I am against and the reason why is it's basically private lessons except you aren't there. So I'd suggest one on one sessions instead. Take the dog there, the trainer teaches you how to teach the dog, then you go and work on your homework. If you're going to do the board and train buy in and do it right. Let them train your dog and then spend a few days with you at the end of it to teach you how to maintain and handle the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page