Teaching puppy to be left on his own - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Teaching puppy to be left on his own

Looking for advice on how to help puppy become comfortable being left on his own. He is still only 10 weeks and we have no plans of leaving him alone yet, but figured we should start the training. At the moment he spends most of his time with us in the living room free under close supervision or in his puppy pen. If we leave him in the pen even just to go make dinner, he whines and cries. Usually he will eventually settle, but clearly he wants to be where the action is. I was hoping staying in the house but nonchalantly moving between rooms would be a good way to gradually get him used to us coming and going, but maybe I'm asking too much too soon? How have you all taught your dogs to be happy left alone? We are hoping to build up to being able to leave him for 8 hours in an indoor / outdoor dog run once he is older although most days he will be with either me or my husband all day. Advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Keep doing what you're doing.Completely ignore his protests.Short periods of staying completely out of sight and only returning when he's quiet can be helpful.Never make a fuss when you release him from his crate or kennel.It should be a non event.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

From the first day I got him, I started to teach my puppy on how to be alone. I keep the crate in the bedroom. After potty and playtime for his alone lessons, I put him in his crate with a treat & toy (puppy kongs work well), then I closed the crate door and the bedroom door and I left just for 15 minutes. It is easier to leave the house because he will cry at first. Then when I came back, I did not go into the bedroom and open the crate door to let him outside to potty until he was quiet. If I had things to do inside the house during his alone time lesson, I did not go into the bedroom but I did ignore all crying. Especially if he was tired,I found after the first 10 minutes of whining, he did fall asleep. I didn't have any issues with outside because he likes to be out. Unless he thinks I'm making supper, but I just ignore any barking or whining and let him inside when I'm finished. But I also did training when I would leave but leave him outside (I have a breezeway door that opens into the fenced in backyard),but for that I would give him a treat and tell him good bye. That way he got used to being alone both outside and inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page