How to make him "come" everytime no matter what - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post How to make him "come" everytime no matter what

3 months old puppy. Calling him Denny. I have started with food ("Denny" => he comes => treats). Later I switched to praising him. Always positive welcoming him etc. He definitelly understands his name and that he should come.

But he won't come always. He comes when is feeding time, when I have toy, when he's feeling like playing, when he wants to cuddle. But if there's something more interesting he will ignore calls until he is done with that. Or until I call him 20 times.

I read some articles, but it's basically what was I already doing eg. "dogs to learn that come means something really good will happen to them or that another new adventure may be about to begin".

1) I would like to eliminate situations, when he doesn't come.

2) I would like to also later partly eliminate praising him. As in some situations it's just no time for playing/praising. I would like he to just come, not come and started playing.

Take for example military GSD. When on battlefield I can't imagine that owner has to call him by right tone of a voice, he has to be praised for coming, given his favorite toy and he chooses if he comes or not. How do you do that? Is that just a repetition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If he's three months old and you got him at 8 weeks old (I assume?), then you've only had him about a month. And you've already completely eliminated food rewards for training a recall?

For one thing, he's WAY too young to expect any kind of reliability, and for another, you've skipped ahead from A to Z without any steps in between.
Jax08, wolfy dog, dogma13 and 1 others like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
If he's three months old and you got him at 8 weeks old (I assume?), then you've only had him about a month. And you've already completely eliminated food rewards for training a recall?

For one thing, he's WAY too young to expect any kind of reliability, and for another, you've skipped ahead from A to Z without any steps in between.
Thank you for your reply!

I have him for little bit over 2 weeks.

I started with food. He got it. He understood, that he should come. Since we were past that phase, where I was explaining meaning of the command I eliminated food. Now I tell him he's good boy and pet him.

So should I again mix in more food? Especially in situations when we're outside? Since he understands command I thought he is disobedient. But from your reply it seems, that we have to just work longer on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Wow you are going way too fast, and expecting way too much! You have a baby there, and you are expecting adult thinking and behaviours.

Go back to giving treats, set up you puppy for success, treat for the times he comes to you on his own without you asking - you are setting up a mindset that coming to you is always a good thing. That will take a billion repetitions: you just can't cram that into 2 weeks!

Puppies have the attention span of a gnat - expect your pup to be distracted and focused on other stuff than "obeying" (which is a concept your pup won't really understand yet). For now training is fun and games, with always a great reward.
IronhideKennels and JessicaR like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

I would enroll him in a basic obedience class with a good trainer so you both learn this the correct way. Check out www.APDT.com for a trainer in your area or find one experienced in the breed.
IronhideKennels likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:38 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
I started with food. He got it. He understood, that he should come.
No, that's exactly my point. There's no way that a 3 month old puppy that has been in training for two weeks fully understands ANY command. He simply doesn't have the attention span and mental capacity yet, and there hasn't been anywhere near enough time to have fully generalized it to all situations and circumstances, especially around distractions.

Quote:
Since we were past that phase, where I was explaining meaning of the command I eliminated food. Now I tell him he's good boy and pet him.
You're not past that phase, and he's not being disobedient! In addition to teaching what a command means, you also need to teach him why he should care. Developmentally, he's the equivalent of a human infant, so it's important to keep your expectations reasonable and to continue reinforcing the behavior you want.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!

I will slow down than. And fill his childhood with more treats and games.

Obidience class or professional training is unfortunately not an option. Im currently living in a rural area of 3rd world country. (maybe 2.5nd world country). There are no dog schools etc. Im lucky enough that there's a pet store. Otherwise I would have to travel like 100 miles just to buy dog food.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Thank you very much!

I will slow down than. And fill his childhood with more treats and games.

Awesome! Hope we can continue to be of help for you and your new pup. Post pics and share proud Daddy stories!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

But he won't come always. He comes when is feeding time, when I have toy, when he's feeling like playing, when he wants to cuddle. But if there's something more interesting he will ignore calls until he is done with that. Or until I call him 20 times.

I'm not a trainer or an expert, just a pet owner, but one thing I have learned from all the obedience classes I've taken with my dogs is not to repeat commands. Only say commands once, and if the dog doesn't listen, help them to perform the right behavior.

For now, I would avoid telling your dog to "come" in situations where he may not obey you. You don't want to weaken the command. Just go and get your dog until he is more reliable. Or have him on a long-line so that you can enforce the come.

Our trainer encouraged us to choose a new command word (like "here") if we have worn out the word "come."

Other things I have heard: Never tell your dog to come, then reprimand him for something when he comes to you. He'll be less likely to come the next time. Also, avoid calling your dog to you and then doing something unpleasant to him (like giving him a bath).
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

It's been a while since I had to teach the 'here' command, but I do remember one tip is
to run away from the dog, they like to chase. I always had a long line on Wiena to help
her when it was necessary, but treats (because she was food motivated) really helped.
She always got treats more than praise, but they were limited (didn't want her to have
a weight problem) Alternating praise with food is a solution too, then they don't know
when they will get the food.
My husband told me that birds will more often come to a place if you don't feed everyday,
because they never know when the food will be there, so they come back more often.

Play a lot with your pup, that's what they want to do!! Include play with the here command,
I wish you much happiness with Denny, what a cute name. Want to him....photos please.

The Lovely Wiena 4/14/2005 - 9/6/2017
You are my Heart Dog and I miss you so much
we'll do High 5's when next we meet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page