Can a new member disrupt prior training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Can a new member disrupt prior training.

Just have a general question, and was wondering about everyone's prior experience. I have had ruka for 7 months training was going really well until just recently. Our other dog kara, just came home she is a 7 month old husky. I know all the backlash about bringing 2 females together, but that isn't the subject matter. I have had her for about 2 weeks now. She had no prior training, but she is really picking up training at home very well. Ruka on the other hand, seems to be going backwards. Ruka has her own room, Kara sleeps in a puppy pen in our bedroom. Ruka has had her own room since she was bout 5 months old I believe, so it didn't seem fair to have a new dog take it over. Our system now is 1 hour each day solo play, and training. all feeding and sleeping is done apart, most toys and bowls removed when they are together, with supervision. As well as a couple hours spread through-out the day for running around the house and yard play with both dogs. Ruka still gets alpha treatment, seeing as she was first, oldest, and more pack driven dog, and Kara respects that. Now the arising problem. Ruka seems more anxious to play. We take her out the same as we always have (every 2 hours with the exception of sleeping hours )feeding time same as we always have ( once in the morning 6am, once at 6pm). Now she is so anxious to see her and play with her it seems as though she skips using the restroom outside, whines alot more to play, and is having accidents in her room about twice a day now. She will be outside in their potty area for about 15 minutes, than put back in her room if its not play, or exercise time. Within half an hour of going back in her room she will have an accident. She has been very consistent with her training. Kara had some accidents in her first few days, but seeing how she has had no prior potty training she hasn't had an accident in a week.

any suggestions, or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Her name is Ruka from guam 671
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

I can't offer any insight on pack dynamics and so forth, but if I had a pup who started making potty mistakes, I would go back to crating for a while. Then gradually increase her freedom again. Good luck. I hope you get things sorted out. I'm sure others will have more to add.

Last edited by sebrench; 12-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I can't offer any insight on pack dynamics and so forth. But if I had a pup who started making potty mistakes, I would go back to crating for a while, and then gradually increase her freedom again. Good luck. I hope you get things sorted out.
my current system with either dog is if an accident happens anywhere in the house the puppy that had the accident is put in her crate for about an hour, and after an hour we put them in the bathroom area for 15 minutes. In my opinion it isn't harsh, but i did get some backlash seeing as the dog doesn't know why they are being punished. should I try and crate her instead of only putting her in for 1 hour.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

I can't comment as to why she is making mistakes now when she wasn't before. But I would go back to treating her like a young puppy who isn't housebroken, which means no freedom in the house or the room for the time being.

I tend not to think of the crate as a punishment. She likely will not associate going in her crate after an accident as a punishment for soiling the house, especially if any time has elapsed since the incident. Crate training works because most dogs tend not to soil the place where they sleep. For that reason, I would keep the puppy crated when you are not there to supervise. Take her out when she needs to relieve herself, and if she doesn't go, put her back in the crate for 15-20 minutes, then try again. No freedom until she has gone. Basic puppy housetraining 101 until she's back on track. I would try not to put her in a situation that gives her the opportunity to soil the house. But if there are any mistakes, clean with a cleaner designed to eliminate the smells of dog urine. There are lots of threads here on house-training if you need a refresher. I won't go into details here, unless you want me to, since chances are you already know all that.

Last edited by sebrench; 12-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

My thoughts on this is that Ruka is so focused on wanting to play with the new pack member that she forgets to potty. I have had this happen when my dog was being boarded. She was perfectly house trained at home, but when taken outside to potty at the boarding facility, she would be so focused on looking for us that she wouldn't go, then would soil her kennel space shortly afterwards.

I would solve this by leaving her outside until she goes. Maybe take her out on the leash, so she gets the idea that she is NOT going to get to play. A second alternative would be to take her outside a second time a short while later, then praise lavishly when she does go.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
My thoughts on this is that Ruka is so focused on wanting to play with the new pack member that she forgets to potty. I have had this happen when my dog was being boarded. She was perfectly house trained at home, but when taken outside to potty at the boarding facility, she would be so focused on looking for us that she wouldn't go, then would soil her kennel space shortly afterwards.

I would solve this by leaving her outside until she goes. Maybe take her out on the leash, so she gets the idea that she is NOT going to get to play. A second alternative would be to take her outside a second time a short while later, then praise lavishly when she does go.
I never really thought of the leash thing, sounds like something I could give a try. She almost always uses the bathroom in the yard, but their potty area is in a little back porch that is fenced, due to the fact our main gate isn't always closed, so we just have them back there for potty time. I usually leave them outside for 15 minutes, due to the fact if she doesn't potty she just lays down in front of our back door.

Thanks for the input guys.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

What do you mean by "using the restroom?" Pooping or peeing or both? Pooping inside could also mean that she is stressed. Forget about favoring "the Alpha". It doesn't have anything to do with who came first and who is what age. You need to decide who does what, where and when. For some reason, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
What do you mean by "using the restroom?" Pooping or peeing or both? Pooping inside could also mean that she is stressed. Forget about favoring "the Alpha". It doesn't have anything to do with who came first and who is what age. You need to decide who does what, where and when. For some reason, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Only peeing she had everything pretty well but recently she will pee in her room almost 2 times a day and typically right after coming back in from her bathroom area after 15 minutes of being out there.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Take a urine sample to the vet to have it checked for an UTI
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Take a urine sample to the vet to have it checked for an UTI
What are the actually symptoms for uti

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page