4 month old developing weird potty habit - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MyHans-someBoy
  • 1 Post By bkealer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down 4 month old developing weird potty habit

I've got a 4 month old that just started developing a weird habit. After taking him out of the crate, we directly go outside so he can go potty.

The problem:
* He immediately goes on the floor outside of the crate, near the front door, outside of the front door and into a main lobby area before we get outside, etc.
* Doesn't matter if he just woke up from a nap in the morning and hasn't gone in 3-4 hrs or if even if it's just been 25-30 min.
* Tried picking him up once he gets out of the crate and rush him outside but he'll even pee on me while holding him
* He'll do this even if he just has a little pee in the tank or a normal amount
* It appears that he's down to do this at my house, or even a friend's apartment

Any ideas on how we can fix this? I've sprayed every area with enzyme cleaner but the guy is just down to go anywhere, even if he's being held before making it outside. It's tough since I've never encountered this before.

What's odd is that in car rides or in his crate he's perfect. He held his pee in a car ride for over 2-3 hours before we stopped to get out for him to relieve himself.

Do I need to just start taking him out every 5-10 minutes when he's in his crate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

I think he may be associating the opening of the crate door when he is inside a house with pottying. So it is sorta of like excitement peeing which is added to it by your rushing and nerves which is understandable. In the car, it is just open the crate door and out he goes. Also in the car, you were all there together. So maybe the indoor house crate times need to be shortened. So, I would try putting his crate near the door so it is just like in a car. If you have to walk through a lobby, if possible carry him in his crate. You could also do this at home instead of leaving the crate near the door. If you have to carry him, try carrying him on his back like you would cradle a baby. To ease cleanup, I would either put down the plastic they use when painting to protect the floor or piddle pads. There was an older thread with a puppy who couldn't hold it until it got through the door and one of the replies was to use piddle pads on the path to the door then you can gradually take them up as the puppy gets more bladder control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

Why don't you move the crate to right next to the door? Or move it so its door is just outside the front door then open it? Maybe he will then get the habit of not letting it go too soon. Oh, Mary just suggested that. Although I would not use piddle pads, it encourages him to continue going in the house. 3 months he is getting to be a pretty big puppy. How much does he weigh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Elite Member

I think the previous posters had some good ideas, but if you try some things and he's still going on the floor or on you as you carry him out, I'd take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI.
Mary Beth and Nurse Bishop like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. He's getting pretty heavy and we have to walk from out of our apartment down to the lobby area, get to the elevator, and then head outside to potty. It probably takes at least two minutes before leaving our apartment door before getting to the pee area so it's understandable that some puppies might have issues with that.

We'll keep trying to get it right.
Mary Beth likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkealer View Post
Thanks for the replies. He's getting pretty heavy and we have to walk from out of our apartment down to the lobby area, get to the elevator, and then head outside to potty. It probably takes at least two minutes before leaving our apartment door before getting to the pee area so it's understandable that some puppies might have issues with that.

We'll keep trying to get it right.
That's a long way for a puppy to hold it until outside and for you to carry him . Maybe consider getting either a cart for the crate or a dog crate with wheels that should be able to fit in the elevator. Or to do paper training and use pee pads by your apt. door and then as he gets older gradually transistion to the outside. There are also indoor potty areas that have fake grass.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 02:57 AM
Master Member

You have a balcony? Might be the best way rather than walking downstairs

But if that was in the cards, maybe that wouldn't be a problem... never heard of an apt without a balcony though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page