Puppy 'so first night in new home - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By dogbyte
  • 1 Post By Armistice

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Puppy 'so first night in new home

So we will soon be bringing home an 8 week old puppy. The plan is to crate train, but I am not sure if I am teaching puppy to hate the crate if he has to spend all night in it just a few hours after seeing it for the first time. Would it be better to have him tethered to me on the floor while I sleep on the couch for the first night or two and then put him in his crate once he is comfortable in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Better to put him in the crate and stay next to him.It won't be the crate that upsets him,it's being separated from mom and litter mates.
Bramble and Shooter like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Elite Member

Kongs filled with something good and non-tummy upsetting and frozen, only given when crated may help. I nuke their regular kibble with enough water to make it peanut butter thickness...took me a while to perfect the recipe of water and nuke time...but it has been a life saver at times for my pups/dogs
tim_s_adams likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Elite Member

I put the crate next to my bed. I line the crate in a fleece dog-blanket and add a stuffed dog toy. I also try to get a towel or a blanket from the breeder with the scent of the dam and litter-mates on it. If the pup whimpers, I put my hand down and let the pup sniff or lick my fingers through the bars of the crate. Since I've started doing this, none of my pups have made much of a fuss while crate training. The only pup I ever had that cried a lot his first week or so was my first GSD pup years ago, and I think I had the crate either in another room or on the far side of the room. I'm pretty sure I ended up sleeping on the couch with him for a few nights, then he transitioned fine to the crate after he had adjusted to living with us.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:56 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I'm pretty sure I ended up sleeping on the couch with him for a few nights, then he transitioned fine to the crate after he had adjusted to living with us.
The first MONTH of having our pup I slept on the couch and the crate was about 6' away.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
The first MONTH of having our pup I slept on the couch and the crate was about 6' away.
Yikes, that's rough. I have lucked out with most of my pups and they have been very easy to crate train. That particular puppy howled loudly for hours, and I eventually took him out of the crate so that other people in my household would not be as disturbed. Luckily, he stopped crying after several nights. If I do take my pup out of the crate, I try to do it when the pup is quiet, even if it's just a brief moment, so that the pup doesn't learn he can get his way if he's loud and persistent enough. Every puppy is different, I think. Just like every human baby is different. My first child slept consistently through the night from 1 month on. My second baby at 8 months still does not always sleep through night. Puppies are easy. haha.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Yikes, that's rough. I have lucked out with most of my pups and they have been very easy to crate train. That particular puppy howled loudly for hours, and I eventually took him out of the crate so that other people in my household would not be as disturbed. Luckily, he stopped crying after several nights. If I do take my pup out of the crate, I try to do it when the pup is quiet, even if it's just a brief moment, so that the pup doesn't learn he can get his way if he's loud and persistent enough. Every puppy is different, I think. Just like every human baby is different. My first child slept consistently through the night from 1 month on. My second baby at 8 months still does not always sleep through night. Puppies are easy. haha.
I didn't do it because I had to. She only protested a little, then went to sleep. It was because the crate was downstairs and I wasn't going to pick her up and walk down stairs multiple times in the middle of the night. I felt it was easier to just stay downstairs on the couch until I could start bringing her upstairs to sleep with us
sebrench likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page