Home made treat recope for training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Momto2GSDs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Home made treat recope for training

Do any of you perhaps have a recipe for good, high value home made dog treats that I can use for training?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:22 AM
Elite Member

Slices of roast beef, roast chicken, cut into little treat size pieces using scissors.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 AM

for training, something easy to swallow. Small lightly cooked chicken and beef. Scissors, like Dunkirk posted, worked easier than knives sometimes. And yes, I will sometimes use a decent quality hotdog if I want something easy to handle during a hike.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

EASY HOMEMADE MEAT TREATS

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Large Round Steak or
Pork Chops or
Calves Liver

or Lamb or Goat
or any whole meats
(dense meat) your dog can eat.

Scissors
1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has bone, remove that too. If using Calves Liver, thaw, and blot well with paper towel to remove excess blood.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the meat into manageable pieces.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of meat you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the meat pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt if desired.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink (especially the Liver or it will crumble). Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. When you need them, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will un-thaw. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly on the cupboard or in your pocket for training.
The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!

Moms
tim_s_adams likes this.

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 12-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Is there perhaps a recipe for making or baking something as I dont want to give meats as mentioned here, because here in SA our dogs get poisoned using those kinds of meat, hot dogs etc.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page