When and how to introduce an outdoor kennel - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By marwin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

When and how to introduce an outdoor kennel

Bringing home a new puppy in a couple of weeks, house breaking and crate training are first on the list, but at some point I want to introduce an outdoor kennel. The dog will live in the house with us, but occasionally when we have a lot of kids visiting or need to go somewhere without the dog for a few hours we would like to leave the dog in a kennel. The kennel consists of a sizeable bedroom in our guest house with doggy door access to an outdoor run facing the forest and sheltered from the elements. How old should the dog be before we start getting it used to being in there? Would you use the same approach as with crate training?
carmspack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 PM

It shouldn't be a big deal at all.You can start right away just taking your puppy in the kennel and letting him become familiar with the space.You can stand on the outside while he's inside.I wouldn't give him access to the entire bedroom area though.Rig up some sort of large enclosed crate/bed area.And of course make sure the area is locked securely and safe for him.No way to dig out,climb out,chew up or swallow anything.And it's a good idea to remove his collar so he doesn't catch it on something and choke.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Can you explain why you don't think he should have the whole indoor area? It's not used for anything else. Was going to rig it with dog bed, water and some toys/puzzles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Because he'll use an over large area as a bathroom instead of going outdoors.Also he may likely decide chewing walls and trim is a pleasant pastime.Lastly,dogs tend to feel more calm and comfortable when provided with a cozy den.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Master Member

My dog now is the first that's a mostly indoor dog. The others were all 100% outside dogs unless they were on the mend. They had a concrete floor, a roof, and a house. They lived there from the day they came home and did fine. Although it was pretty rare for me to bring home a dog younger than 4 months. I would think your dog would do fine in a mini mansion like yours at any age. I would however take dogmas advice so he doesn't use the bedroom as a bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page